Iris

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Spider_Lily

My brother gave me a few irises before he passed away in 05 they have never bloomed.Praying every Spring to see a bloom.Someone here told me to move them to a new spot.So in the fall I moved them did'nt think it would work but.Thank God it did I have a beautiful white bloom this morning and a few more buds.I did'nt think I would get a bloom for sure this spring but it has.

Attachments

• Flowers 2011 012.JPG
    Flowers 2011 012.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 349
  • Flowers 2011 013.JPG
    Flowers 2011 013.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 331
aren't you glad you moved them. I have some that I moved that are so pretty now and they never did bloom where they were.

aren't you glad you moved them. I have some that I moved that are so pretty now and they never did bloom where they were.

Yes I'm glad I moved them should have already done it but.Alway's though next year I will have a bloom takes time.LOL Now I know they will I may have to get a few more colors.Suppose to have a two tone purple called congratulations and a blur one called full tide I bought from Lowes last spring.Maybe they will do well too.

Here are what mine looked like this year

Attachments

• IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 346
Sorry to post these as links but all my pics are on the gallery. These are from last year, I just haven't had a lot of free time to go get this years pics. Thought you might like to see them again since this is an Iris thread ;)
Scroll down to the full size picture.
If someone knows how to isolate your pictures from the gallery for a post , please let me know.

http://www.gardenpics.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=400&title=purple-iris&cat=501

http://www.gardenpics.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=401&title=blue-flag-iris&cat=501

http://www.gardenpics.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=402&title=better-field&cat=500

Spider, I'm so sorry about your Irises. I know how disappointed you must be. Mine are just now beginning to bloom, the white ones are always first to show off. I'll try and get some pics up soon.

This is a long shot but my curiousity is in high gear..Irises bloom in early Spring so what if you dig up the bulb and fridgerate for a few weeks and replant. Do you think it would grow and bloom again?? Any thoughts anyone??

Her iris are Bearded so I am afraid that they are done for the season. They may rebloom there in Alabama

I don't know about that but my purple and white iris re bloomed last fall. and they are still blooming a little.

This is a long shot but my curiousity is in high gear..Irises bloom in early Spring so what if you dig up the bulb and fridgerate for a few weeks and replant. Do you think it would grow and bloom again?? Any thoughts anyone??

That is certainly a long shot!!
Regular bearded irises need to develop a new tuber before they bloom again the following spring!
Rebloomers need to grow a new tuber, which is shorter then the regular iris and will bloom again in late summer!
Refridgeration will not do anything since you would be stopping the development of new tubers and the tubers will go dorment!

I don't care if the bearded bloom I was enjoying the white one's my brother had shared with me.They finally bloomed after I moved them.

And Spider they are so pretty too. You enjoy them girl. I have a purple one that hasn't bloomed yet but maybe next year. I can't wait to see it. I love planting tubers and then having to wait for the blooms.

What a lovely surprise!! I love the white Iris, its so pretty blowing in our constant breeze here. I have to stake mine. All the the Iris stand up on their own, but have to stake the white ones. Wanna try growing some from seed. If so, I will collect seed again this year. I have had really good luck wintersowing them.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back