It's a Fungus not a Veggie

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tim and I along with Lysle and Dany and a neighbor couple went to a "Mushroom Festival" yesterday. IT was the first year of this small but very interesting festival. We missed the first half , the important half with the workshop on growing Shitake's. However I did learn a bit from talking to several people.
We all purchased spores and are going to start the process of growing Shitake Mushrooms. It seems very easy and I think it will be something that I can omit from my grocery list, which is always a bonus in my book. Check out these link;
www.pmhigh.com

Just a cool idea. I will post picture when I get started , which I hope is today ;)

Last edited:
Yummy I love mushies! I've grown them in the past and you're right Nancie they are fairly easy to grow. I can't recall why I stopped growing them actually.....I checked out the link too it's very comprehensive and interesting, thanks for that.

You are very welcome. The lady , "Pat High" is very informative but very strange. I hope I can keep perpetual mushrooms going as talked about with the tribes. That would be really cool. Have to get them plugged today. I will post some pictures as I go.
Wish me luck ;)

Hey that's great about the mushies, there's so many different varieties to grow and they all seem to have a distinct flavour. Hope it all goes well for you, they don't take long to grow, looking forward to seeing the pics of your ''babies".

We learned in the class that using these methods it can take as much as a couple eyars to get harvestable shrooms. I sure hope it is quick like the kits. But the idea behind this is that it is a perpetual "kit". The "plugs" are dowles that have been impregnated with spores. You use hard wood, oak, or maple logs and drill holes about 6-8 inches apart all the way around the logs. Hammer the plugs all the way into the holes. Then you stack them on top of a log pile about 2-4 feet high. Cover them with drip irrigation and a tarp.The tarp should be to the ground all the way around. I need to get a bigger tarp for my pile. Your pile should be placed somewhere cool and damp. Pat say put it on the side of your house that mold grows on. Here in the south that would be any side the sun doesn't touch :) LOL! for most people it is the north side, but I chose a spot where other fungus grow year round.
here are step by step pictures of the process.

Attachments

• prep logs 1 (800x533).jpg
    prep logs 1 (800x533).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 286
  • plug log (533x800).jpg
    plug log (533x800).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 291
  • place plugged logs (800x533).jpg
    place plugged logs (800x533).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 297
  • Top with drip (800x533).jpg
    Top with drip (800x533).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 295
  • cover (800x533).jpg
    cover (800x533).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 293
That's really interesting Nancie. I've just bought the kits and that was it. The perpetual one is a great idea, never would've even thought of it. I'll have to do some research myself, avoiding the snakes too hopefully! :D

Ron
It was a $10 donation for a handful of each of 3 types of shitakes. I have 3 logs with about 30 in each log so 90 spore plugs ....maybe more. I can't wait for this to produce but we may be waiting a while .

Randy
that's what I was thinking too. but I think the fact that it gets watered daily might keep them at bay. Moccasins will be the issue in summer when it gets hot and dry.

John
I agree, the promise of more than one harvest was interesting. I paid less for the spores than 1/2 of a kit , and I can do this outside not in a closet in the house ;)

No change on the logs with the exception of some white thread like stuff around one spore. Could it be the begining of mushrooms? i sure hope so!

I have to say, Nancie, that when you first spoke of plugging your mushrooms, I had this vision of you standing back and popping off a few rounds at them. Wasn't sure how that would help though. LOL

Randy, you are funny....Nancie sounds like you're going to have a really good crop. I think I may have stopped buying the kits due to the cost involved. Your way seems a lot more viable, can't wait to see them sprouting from the logs!

Randy
LOL! That is too funny! Now i could have "plugged" the logs to get teh holes for the spores ;)

John
Most people who start growing shrooms with kits give up because it is costly and you must hvae an indoor place to keep them. I know someone who had their cat use their kit for a litter box. Now if that won't stop you from buying another kit nothing will. Very expensive cat litter :rolleyes:
I sure hope this works!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back