It's winter what new crafts

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

stepping stones

Hubby is home and he wants me to knit him a scarf!! How fun is that? He is going to pick out his own yarn.
Hey, I know someone on here knows how to make stepping stones...please post!

dear jade, the MOTH and i made stepping stones with Quik-crete. he works with concrete alot and knows how to mix it. i spray deep dish aluminum pie pans with non-stick cooking spray and we fill you can add tiles or old broken coffee mugs for a mosaic or maybe even marbles but they might be too slippery to walk on. i think they cured in 4 or 5 days i dig a spot for them in the garden where i need them so they are even with the soil and they work great except the spots the voles visit those are a little wobbily but the neighbors get a kick out of seeing me try to balance on them "there goes tonya again trying to surf on dry land" ha ha this year i'm gonna press interesting looking leaves like magnolia leaves onto them to see if i can get an imprint hope it works am starting a new flower bed and will use the stepping stones so i can get in there to weed.

I want to try a WELCOME stepping stone for our front bed that lies right along the walk up to the front door. Today is CraftDay here, so we will be visiting one of the local craft stores. I will take a look to see what is available to write the Welcome with.
I also want to paint some of the names of our hostas on some nice stones. Of course, I don't want to pay for the stones and all of our stone around our house is sandstone, so that won't work so great. Up in Ontario we had lovely river stone everywhere...hmm, might have to make a trip up to see my buddies and bring some stone back.

the pie tins are only about 12" in diameter so i guess you would need 7 of them but you could draw the letters in the wet quikcrete i will most definitely use your idea of writing the name of plants on some of my new stones how smart!!!permanent plant markers i love that!

I kinda wanted to make the Welcome just one big stone. I might be able to find a big aluminum roasting pan that you would make a big turkey in for the mold. This is going to be an outdoor project, so I want to wait for it to warm up a bit. I will have to test out the crowd today to see if anyone else is interested.

We certainly can never be accused of not being creative ~ Jade has her bed outside ("our front bed ") and folks are breaking coffee cups..... Jade, think about the shape you want b/c you could use an oval tin pan......for the rock in your bed.......out front (I'm giggling) ~ Curbie :)

OH OH OH how bout a muffin tin for plant markers you could make a dozen at a time only use a small amount of concrete and could write on them with a small nail or maybe an old pen or a small pointed stick. Just do it while they are wet.

We had 5 gals this time. It was a nice time. The Indian gal didn't come, we weren't sure what we would do with her 4 year old. For sure she will be invited when he goes off to school. I would think that it would be frustrating for her when most of us wouldn't catch most of what she says.
I am trying to learn some new knitting stitches and have found that Youtube is very helpful when I can't remember what I was told during our sessions.

HPIM0703.jpg

HPIM0709.jpgdear curbie, sometimes i don't bother making the bed,if these pictures come out you will see that mother nature helped me out by putting a nice new white bedspread on my herb bed...

Oh my I just spent and hour at Hobby lobby. Just looking mostly, but did get 2 small skeins of yarn to knit my mom a scarf for next Christmas. How is that for thinking ahead? I knit myself one out of the same type of yarn and liked working with it. Mine is multi colored turquoise, orange and gold...hers will be red.

The library around the block from my house has knitting ever Monday 5-6pm. I need to get needles and yarn form Hobby Lobb and Walmart then I can attend. I forget to take it everytime I go. I need to put the list in m van then I won't forget it. I will do it Monday when I pick my grandson up form school. Hobby Lobby is close to his school. I have some needles already but need to make sure they are the right ones.

Oh yeah, Tonya I am going to use the aluminum cake pans to make some stepping stones. Great idea Dawn for the muffin pans. I can use those for my grands so they can feel they are helping me.

I adore people who 'think outside whatever that box is' . It's not always how we see it and it has a LOT (at least for me) to do with 'how you see it' ~ I could build a great home for MTM & myself b/c I know what is important to me....well....i don't know how to BUILD a house. The Great Thinker :) ~ Curbie

Did I tell you that one of the girls in our crafting group is knitting mittens out of plastic bags, and knitting a basket out of plastic for them to go in as a project for her art class? They had to do some sort of sculpture and this is how she thought outside the box. I am telling you...I think that it is great that she is so "out there". I have never known anyone like her before. It is good for me and good for her since I totally think that it is so wild that she can think like that.
She uses all different colors of bags from stores and spotted a nice red one in our garage the other week that she wanted, ha. Now I am on the lookout for cool bags. Never thought I would be doing that.

Chalkboard painted Pots. Cute! :)

Attachments

• Chalkboard Pots.jpg
    Chalkboard Pots.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 339
  • Chalk board Pots.jpg
    Chalk board Pots.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
I have my SIL rock hunting for me, she lives in an area full of river rock. I need to get my labels on my hostas before I lose all of the labels that came with the plants.
I really like those cute pots Sandi!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back