Keeping my own seed

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Bruno2

I wish to keep seed from vegetables this yr in order to plant it next yr. My vegetable array include corn,tomato,cucumber,yellow squash,zuchini,green beans(two different varieties) and potatoes.

What do I need to know about curing seeds? What is the best way to go about harvesting the seed?

Bruno where do you live. I am in zone 5 and we leave a couple of ears of corn on the plant until they are very mature them I pick them and peel the husks back and hang them by the husk until the corn is very dry. Then the seed can be taken off the cob.
I save seed from winter squash but I haven't saved summer squash seed.
Be positive that you are planting heirloom seeds or the seed you harvest will not come true. Also don't let you plants cross pollinate in you garden.
I am sure that others will know more than I about saving veggie seeds.

Did you buy the seeds or were they given to you? Usually heirloom seeds are very expensive and hard to find. The nursery shops around here in GA don't sell heirloom starter plants so you would have had to plant them from seed more than likely. What are the variety names of your plants? Someone will be able to determine what they are or if you can post a photo.

I have saved tomato, cucumbers and beans. The larger the seed is the easier it is. It is a bit hard trying to separate the seed from the flesh, since they are small, but I use paper towels and just pick them out with my finger and try to break apart the flesh from the seed. Put the seeds in between a folded napkin or paper towel and let them dry. My tomato seeds don't take long. Usually just overnight. The larger the seed the longer it will take. Use the same method for the other seeds. You will be able to tell when they are good and dry.

As far as potato goes, you can save some eyes and freeze them and just plant them in the ground face up the next year. It is much easier than saving the seeds. I have never done this but I come from a long line of farmers.

Remember not to get your varities mixed up since the seeds from each plant all look the same from what I have seen.

Good luck!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back