Killdeer in the garden!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's some photos of my first run in with a pair of mated killdeer who decided my new cactus garden was perfect to make a nest!

Attachments

• baby killdeer 002.jpg
    baby killdeer 002.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 423
  • baby killdeer 001.jpg
    baby killdeer 001.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 441
  • baby killdeer 015.jpg
    baby killdeer 015.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 408
  • baby killdeer 016.jpg
    baby killdeer 016.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 427
  • baby killdeer 017.jpg
    baby killdeer 017.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 406
You're welcome John!
The fledgeling in the last photo was probably the first one to hatch, when I snapped the shot, it got up and ran a few yards away on long gangly legs, looking just like a miniture ostritch! It has a body that only it's mother and father could love!
There is one more egg to hatch and that will probably happen tomorrow since it was probably the last egg layed!
They are really goofy looking at such a young age!

I'll be getting my cactus garden back soon!

The 4th egg is a dude!!!!
The parents and 3 kill-lettes left and moved down on the beach!
Peace and quiet returns to Ron's gardens!

Never, never, ever will I let them nest in the gardens again!!!
After a good month, now I can go and do some much delayed work on a few of the surrounding gardens.....need to get some things planted, and other's moved, or removed to make room for the new ones!

Awwww they are so sweet. I'm sorry that you got kicked out of your garden but it seems worth it.
TFS.

Ron,
What a great birdy daddy you are. I know it can be taxing putting up with them. My babies let the nest this weekend :)

Peace and quiet reign on Ron's garden again!
They are all down on the beach doing their killdeer thing.
Haven't seen the babies since they all left the nest!
The dude egg still sits in the nest...time to dispose of it!
Now I can replant the cacti that they uprooted and add some more!
It is so nice going to that area of the garden without being screamed at!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!
I wont let them nest in my garden again!
Once was more then enough for my first and last experience!

Bet they will return. They had a great time and so have we. The chicklettes are happy and you should be proud of your fatherly instincts! The only birds I have an issue with are bluejays. It's funny ~ the guy nextdoor feeds them peanuts on our shed roof and all I do is feed the squirrels. She was yelling at a squirrel this morning for being in her planters. I could hardly contain myself! "Atta girl! The SQUIRRELS don't speak English, dummy!" Now, I have the hiccups. Curbie :)

The nesting bird was a Killdeer, a member of the Plover family, which are mostly shorebirds but the Killdeer is often found far from the shore

You are right Sam! Killdeer screeeches are really annoying....I haven't had another one try nesting in the gardens again.
Using hanging tin pie plates really worked!!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back