Knockout Roses

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Jade

Anybody have them? We went to a get together last summer and I saw these amazing guys, had the homeowner do some digging for me to find out what they were, as I had never seen them in Canada. Since that time I now see them everywhere...they are used in many commercial landscapes. I got myself 5 of them and since found out that they need huge amounts of space. They get huge. I moved them around a bit so that they may have the right amount of space in the future. They are amazing creatures for sure.

Treva

I Love Them!

I Love Them! We just put these in last year, and though I had a neighbor tell me they were not "REAL" Roses??

I Love them and they bloom abundantly!

Anybody have them? We went to a get together last summer and I saw these amazing guys, had the homeowner do some digging for me to find out what they were, as I had never seen them in Canada. Since that time I now see them everywhere...they are used in many commercial landscapes. I got myself 5 of them and since found out that they need huge amounts of space. They get huge. I moved them around a bit so that they may have the right amount of space in the future. They are amazing creatures for sure.

Attachments

• tn_DSCN3468.JPG
    tn_DSCN3468.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 404
  • tn_DSCN3467.JPG
    tn_DSCN3467.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 388
  • tn_DSCN4212.JPG
    tn_DSCN4212.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 388

Jade

We were househunting with another couple who are transferring last friday afternoon and the house that they are probably buying had 6 of these big boys out front. I was able to identify most of the things in the yard, but these were what stood out to me. Even though they were dormant I was able to identify them. They were like 4-5 feet tall and 4 feet around. Amazing! My babies came from lowes and were only in one gallon containers, but grew a lot last year. I will post some photos when they come out in bloom this year. They look pretty small compared to what I saw last Friday.

Dor

I have two of them On is a Double Knockout and is doing well and the second is a Knockout(Rady00) is what is on the tag. It didn't do as well and I dug it up last week and put in a container. Once it is better I will find a space for it. Both of mine are red. I look forward to get more.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
thanks Trva for posting yours and Jad thanks for the link...I think I willhave to get a couple and replace the nasty boxwood, ( which I thought were privets :() I have..

Jade

I know that there are many boxwood fans out there, so I will only voice my opinion, they smell bad. I have always compared them with the cat litter box. The knockouts will get big if they like their environment, so plan accordingly.

Spider_Lily

We went out to eat last Summer and in front they had the red Knockout rose.
They were loaded with blooms.I sort of borrowed a piece of it.A tiny limb it rooted.I went back by later and they were trimming them.So I just had to stop and ask for a few cuttings.They were throwing them away.Now I have about 10 I thinks going to make it.They are sooooo easy to root.:)

Maggie

I have 2 of the double red knockout roses that I got last year. I already had a pink one and a red one (they aren't the double tho). The red one is about 5ft. tall and 5ft. wide and I love them. I'm thinking about adding 2 more this year because I really do like them. They bloom heavily in the spring and continue blooming all summer.
Treva yours are gorgeous. I like the red the best.

Last edited:
K

Kale

I only have one Knockout besides the cuttings I have that may make it .
Here are the Gazebo Roses I tend.

http://gregnmary.gotdns.com/eg08/index.htm

The Knockouts are free flowing lots of care (cutting spent blooms) if you want constant blooms!
They are simply beautiful.:D:D
Not scented but glorious to view!
Some people say it is not a real rose,because it isn't scented.It sure is a rose and a beauty at that!

Good for you Spider- Lily!
I did that with BFBushes!
they just chopped them away and I scooped them up!
A little TLC and they were fine!
Here is my "single" Rainbow, she is so cute:D
She does go through a sleep period although short.Then starts up again:)

Kale:)

Attachments

• GAZ DoubKO.jpg
    GAZ DoubKO.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 389
  • GAZ doubleKO.jpg
    GAZ doubleKO.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 396
  • RainbowKnockout.jpg
    RainbowKnockout.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 384

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I know that there are many boxwood fans out there, so I will only voice my opinion, they smell bad. I have always compared them with the cat litter box. The knockouts will get big if they like their environment, so plan accordingly.

I am with you...Not a fan one bit...and here I sit with them all across half of my yard....:(

Sunshine2638

I also grow knockout roses last year was my first year trying them.

Attachments

• 100_0293 double knockout Rose000.JPG
    100_0293 double knockout Rose000.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 399
  • 100_0342 Red Double KNockout Rose.jpg
    100_0342 Red Double KNockout Rose.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 393

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I remember someone defining "knockout roses" on GH, but I don't remember what it was.

Jade

They are beautiful when mature. This is my first time with them. I think that the name is fitting. I will keep you posted as mine mature.

K

Kale

1st rose to bloom and take off at the Gazebo Rose Garden this year!
Grandifloras are way behind but will catch up soon... Fairies are budding too!:D:D:D
KO RED! So pretty....:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jade

My 'Knockouts' are a knockout this weekend. They all openned up with all of this heat that we are having.

Jade

I have seen them blooming all over the place this weekend, how lovely they are. Wish my camera was working, but I am going to send it off to Canon to see if they can get it fixed up.

K

Kale

Jade did Canon replace your camera!??
Here is mid to late June 09
@ the
English Gazebo Garden I tend!

http://gregnmary.gotdns.com/gz09/index.html

(click on link above)
This year was a cool year.No PM only a little black spot on the Grandiflorias which were removed, grew back and was fine until Fall cleanup.
Another very nice year.
The Grandifloras grew taller then 51/2 feet again,only earlier this 2nd year. It was rather interesting,blooms galore.Too bad I had someone making themselves arrangements. I would anticipate blooms and they would be gone when I got there.Well, they knew when to cut *LOL Hope they enjoyed the blooms they stole*LOL
Lord of Great Landscaping knew I wanted to catch them*lol

Any pics??
I'll look for my little Rainbow KO pics..

BTW my PM is full,
you may email me, no clue what to delete..:eek:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com