looking for help planting bulbs

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

JackieS

Hello, everyone !! Just joined the forum and I do have a question about planting bulbs such as crocus & tulips. Can I use bagged garden soil with the fertilizer already in it? Or perhaps cow manure to help amend the soil (we are in Southside Virginia and have heavy clay soil). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Jackie, good question.
The answer is yes!
It is a good time to work your clay before planting your bulbs.
It is best to add as much organic matter to your heavy clay soil as you can. I prefer sheep manure since it has less weed seeds then cow manure, as well as compost.
Adding sand will also help loosen up the clay, and help it drain better....adding horticultural lime also helps.
You can top dress the soil surface with an inch or 2 layer of manure after you plant your bulbs.
Have fun!

JackieS

Hi Jackie, good question.
The answer is yes!
It is a good time to work your clay before planting your bulbs.
It is best to add as much organic matter to your heavy clay soil as you can. I prefer sheep manure since it has less weed seeds then cow manure, as well as compost.
Adding sand will also help loosen up the clay, and help it drain better....adding horticultural lime also helps.
You can top dress the soil surface with an inch or 2 layer of manure after you plant your bulbs.
Have fun!
Thanks so much RonsGarden for the info!!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com