Looking for ideas on fencing..

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok friends, I need some help and ideas. I want to fence in my front yard cause of the darn deer. I was thinking of putting up deer fence then thought that I might as well spend the money and put up good fencing so I don't have to do it again in a couple of yrs so thinking of putting up chain link fencing 8-10' high but would like to put something else on the side of my driveway as chain link is ugly but don't want to put up something that you can't see though. Anyone got any ideas?

With how high deer jump and can clear a fence your options are really limited.

I live in the middle of a city and have a 5' tall wooden privacy fence around my backyard. Along my garden side I have extended the posts up and attached heavy gauge wire woven fence (live stock type fencing a gentleman farmer gave me) along the top of the fence up to around 9' high. I did this to use it as a growing trellis not to have it just as a 9' tall fence. This year the growth is sparse but in previous years this has turned into a 9' tall living green wall.

Laurie
You could always grow climbing roses up along the chain link fencing!
There's also climbing hygrangea that will cover a large swath of the fence in a few short years!
For more color, scarlet runner beans, clematis.......

Don't know how I missed this.
I have 6' ornamental no climb fence on the front of the yard. Looks very nice but it is pricy. About $90 for a 6 X 8 panel and then post are about $4 each. I will take a pic and show you. the other thing is , we are doing fence on the sides and I have chose a black vinyl coated. I hope it looks as good as I think it will. Check my project folder here. working on it now.

Double fence is a great idea dawn, but I think Laurie has a lot of land to cover and it can get real expensive. Here they do a lot of wildlife fences and they are 8-10 feet tall. Helps keep deer in or out depending on your view ;).

Great ideas which you share with us, I also would like to say that fencing become important part of every house and every crowded area where have chances of violation, There are many Kinds of fences like Timber fence, Wire fence, Electric fence wall fence, Peoples choose fencing designs according to their wish.

I would go with a high privacy fence. While its no the most appealing, I have seen Deer get stuck on a variety of fences and its pretty sad.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back