Mandevilla Propagation

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

blackdove

Anybody successful with propagating mandevilla? I bought some plants that I'd want to propagate, but I'm not sure how because the stems are thin and soft. Any ideas?

I tried to propagate them back when I used to do lots of propagation at work and they were tough!!! We used rooting hormone on the heavier wood and misted them and still we weren't very successful. Good luck!

Welcome Blackdove!
I personally have never done a Mandevilla but you can try different techniques. One would be to place a stem, while still connected to the mother plant, in a pot of soil and cover the stem. It could possibly root that way. Make sure that you have a node portion of the stem in the soil. If you can wait till you get a good woody cutting and use sand , the success rate may be better , but you can also try rooting them in sand. Keep the sand watered daily. Once you see new growth or a recovery from wilting, you can check for roots and re-pot in soil. It is worth a try if you really want to start a new plant ;)

Jade,
Do you try them in sand or soil?

Welcome Blackdove!
I personally have never done a Mandevilla but you can try different techniques. One would be to place a stem, while still connected to the mother plant, in a pot of soil and cover the stem. It could possibly root that way. Make sure that you have a node portion of the stem in the soil. If you can wait till you get a good woody cutting and use sand , the success rate may be better , but you can also try rooting them in sand. Keep the sand watered daily. Once you see new growth or a recovery from wilting, you can check for roots and re-pot in soil. It is worth a try if you really want to start a new plant ;)

Jade,
Do you try them in sand or soil?

Thanx Crabbergirl. By node portion of the stem, do you mean where the leaves are attached? The parts where the flowers were attached look like nodes too.
Also, what's the difference between sand and soil for the woody cutting? Is it the looseness of sand?

Last edited:
The node is where the leaves are attached. The flowering wood would likely not root. Don't use wood that is too tender.
Crabber, we used promix...very light peat mix. And bottom heat, and they were still tough.

Thanks Jill. I am an old school gardener from before all the custom mixes were available ;) LOL! And I have just stayed stuck there. I might look into those mixes one day.

Blackdove,

the use of sand allows moisture without saturation. Too much water can be bad for some cuttings. The sand holds moisture but not water if that make sense. Just water daily and it should work just fine. And yes, the nodes are where the leaves are attached, and Jade is right , do not use a flowering cutting. Semi to full wood stems work best, flexible but not new green shoots. You can use "rootone" also to increase your success.

I tried cuttings but have not been successful.

HOWEVER. I noticed my mandevillas today to have these leaf node growths that look like aerial roots! I think it's due to the past recent rains. Has anybody had this experience?

The "roots" are white and the longest is about 1/2 inch long.

IMG_5077.jpg
IMG_5075.jpg
IMG_5078.jpg

Any advise? Can these be cut and planted already? Air layer them? Just ignore and wait for the roots to grow longer? If so, how long should the roots get before cutting? Thanks!

You can air layer! Pack some moist peat moss around the root nodes and wrap with plastic wrap and tie lightly in place....shouldn't take long before you can severe the stem and pot up....or if you ar impatient you can go ahead and sever the stem and pot up now!

Looks great.
I stole a cutting ( not really stole but you know what I mean) from a friend this wekend and I have it in snd. I will let you know how it does ;)

Thanx for the replies. I don't know what this phenomenon is (roots after heavy rains), but it certainly will make propagation a bit easier. I wonder if I can replicate this.

Crabbergirl, kindly update how your cuttings fare in sand. Thnx.

You can either use rainwater or distilled water. Spay the stems in the late evening so the nodes stay wet longer.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back