Marigolds..

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

I know that Marigolds are annuals and I was wondering if I saved the seeds if they will grow for next spring. I am getting mixed info from the internet. I dont know how to find the seeds from the flower though...I have never collected seeds from flowers..:confused:

Hello and welcome! Yes, you can save marigold seeds and grow them the following year. Allow the marigolds to flower and let the flower dry up on the plant. When dry, pluck off the flower. The seeds are in the base of the flower. They are black and about 1/4 of an inch long with another 1/4 inch of straw color at the top. Make sure they are dry then place in a ziplock or other container to save for next season.Good luck.

Kallie,
Marigolds in the south are so easy to save. You actually won't even need to harvest the seeds if you want them in the same place next year. I have not actually planted marigolds in years! They volunteer by ( seriously) the thousands every year. They are the one plant we used for science when I taught Kindergarten. They are no fail . If you want to save your seeds wait until the flower head truns dark brown but not crunchy. Just pluck the head, then break it open over a plate or newspaper. Spread the seeds out to dry naturally , not in sun or the oven.

Awesome! Thanks because I found seeds from another flower that way but didnt know if they were seeds or not. I will certainly have many marigolds!!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back