Mealy bugs

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

GardenBear1

I have a bit of a problem with mealy bugs, never been a real problem until this year. so what do you use to get rid of them? I posted in cactus and succulent because they have made their home in my epies and some of my hoyas I'v been using dish soap and water because I hate the use of any chemicals around my plants, the dog likes to hang out in my growing room and the bird thinks its her pvt jungle :D so I have to stay away from chemicals, so I can have blooms like this next year
Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

noidpink001.jpg

swindy

Bear Mealy bugs are a tough problem to deal with, as they very quickly spread to every plant in the area. If you have a large infestation your only real choice is to revert to chemicals. Can you close off the room for 10 days so your furry and feathered friends can't get in there? If so then spray with malathion. If not then you can treat each bug by dipping a Q-tip in alcohol and dabbing it on the mealy bug. If the bugs are on only a couple of plants it is best to take those plants out of the room where the rest of your cactus are and try to treat them in another area and then keep them away from the other plants until you are sure you have killed all the bugs. Good luck to you my friend

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found the best home remedy is to use rubbing alcohol. For a large infestation use a spray bottle, for smaller outbreaks you can go around with a Q-Tip soaked in alcohol. The alcohol disolves the waxy outer protection and dehydrates their soft bodies!
You may need to repeat the treatment.
Another good safe pesticide is NEEM. It is pricy but a little goes a long way!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pyola I also think will kill them. That is a gardens Alive product and works great on a wide range of pest!

sfishergirl

a sick room if you are able helps alot so they don't spread. I had a beautiful epi that got mealies bad and I tried for 2 years to get rid of the mealies and just couldnt do it. It was really hard to say enough is enough because the plant was still growing. a q-tip in alcohol is great for the occassionally bug or two. Right now I am using a 50/50 solution of alcohol and water in a spray bottle on 2 huge hindu ropes. The thing to remember is life cycyle. It takes several treatments timed just right to eliminate them

swindy

Garden bear I am bumping this up to ask how you are doing with your mealy bugs.Were you able to get rid of them?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com