melons and winter squash in raised beds?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

seedaddict

With the exception of honeydew ( which I can't find a bush type for) all varieties are bush/semi bush.

They're compact, short vined, and bred to be grown in close spaces. Do bush varieties have to be trellised? I know it makes it neater, conserves space more, and easier to spot and harvest fruit.

What does dimensions of raised beds have to be (length, width, and depth).

Varieties I plan to grow listed below...

pumpkin, summer ball

spaghetti squash hasta la pasta and/or goldetti (goldetti is semi-bush)

acorn is bush table king and/or bush table queen

watermelon is sugar bush (bush type of sugar baby) and/or yellow doll. Both are small fruited watermelon (4-12 lbs. per fruit)

Cantaloupe is minnesota midget and inspire (both have fruit that is about 1-2 lbs per fruit; tends to have a ton of small fruit per plant rather than a couple large fruit)

butternut is butterbush

Do you still have to plant in hills/mounds or is this not necessary in raised beds?

Also, will have to grow some vining and sprawling plants with melons cause of honeydew. Can they still be grown in raised beds?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back