Molasses Ginger Cookies

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
additional sugar ( for rolling dough in)

Reheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, cream together, shortening, sugar, egg, and molasses, until fluffly. Mix together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. Beat into creamed mixture until just blended together. Roll dough into 1 1/2 - inch balls. Roll in additional sugar. Bake on a cookie sheet, sprayed with cooking spray, for 10 to 12 minutes.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
They sound yummy
Thanks for posting it for me.
I might have time to try them this weekend.

richnkim

Your welcome, Laurie. They don't take long to make.

Dawn, they are good.....can't stop eating them when I make them, so I don't do it often. They make really good ice cream sandwiches. Especially with coffe ice cream!!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sounds just like my great-grandmothes recipe. My son won a blue ribbon at the fair when he was 10 with those cookies. I love them

richnkim

Just talking about them yesterday made me want them. I made some. It had been along time. I like them a little softer than the 1o to 12 minutes bakes them, so I baked them for 9 minutes.

PRH

I know what Phil will be busy doing alittle latter this afternoon! Thanks for sharin,btw!! :p

Dor

I am going to bake some too Kim. I have to get some molasses.

I have an order for a dozen chocolate chips cookies and 2 dozen tea cakes. I will get them done by Friday. I bought some pecans at the Farmers Market.

richnkim

I have a few pecans left that my dad gave me. I keep the hidden. I can eat them, walnuts make my mouth break out.

Dor

I didn't go to Arkansas during the holidays so I wasn't able to get some last year. I had to buy them, the ones are Sam's Club are dark so Probably from a year or two ago.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
My sister in Dallas sent me about 3 pounds last fall and I still have a few of them left. I need to use them up though and let her know that I ran out. LOL

Dor

We have pecan companies in Richmond about 30 minutes from me. They sell the ones cracked in the shell for $3.49 a pound. If I run out then I can always take a drive down there. I don't go there often but it is our county seat and have lots of farmers and quite a few farmers markets.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
As far as I can tell, pecans don't grow here. We have English and black walnuts and filberts though.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com