Monday, Jan. 5th is National Bird Day

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a saying thought would be good to pass along, "Feed the birds, good for you and good for your garden." Monday, Jan. 5th is National Bird Day. In recognition of all the beneficial things our birds do, I plan to give them a special treat tomorrow on their recognized special day.

Last edited:

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just put out a suet cake for them. I have to work tomorrow so guess I'm doing it a day early. I didn't know about Jan 5th

Ah I say a holiday like that is for the birds lol. Sorry I couldn't help it -- I'm glad they do have a holiday. Can't imagin what life would be like not seeing them glide through the sky. I don't feed them here as I feel it would be more like bait, considering my little Missy.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
The granddaughter that I posted about before and I built over 50 birdhouses and feeders when she lived with us in her early years. I have one of the feeders in the back yard and it's called a "Starling Proof Suet Feeder". It has 1/4" hardware cloth on the bottom and the birds hang on that hardware cloth to get the suet. Starlings don't like to hang like that, but it doesn't bother the other birds. It holds two of those bricks of suet and I know one is about gone, so I should add at least one brick to it tomorrow, maybe two.

woodstock

didnt know that Dale.....thanks for letting us know....we feed the birds at work daily......but its nice to know tomorrow is their "special" day!!!

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
didnt know that Dale.....thanks for letting us know....we feed the birds at work daily......but its nice to know tomorrow is their "special" day!!!
I love to look and see what kind of day to celebrate. Just like May 22nd is National Banana Pudding Day. I love any day to have an excuse for a celebration.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Miss Dale, there was a lady that has been mentioned on here that used to keep us abreast of all the special days. The more offbeat it was, the more she enjoyed letting us know. She went by the name of HerbyAnne. Her name was Ann and her grandkids dubbed her HerbyAnne because she was really into growing herbs. She may turn up here someday, we hope.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com