Mr Yan - March 2013

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mr_yan

Today I started the first round of seeds with the help of a 2.5 year old.

We started 75 individual plants and two 3' long gutters of peas.

Started count:
in a flat - 50 peat pots
20 bell peppers
6 hot peppers
4 Thai Basil
10 green basil
4 broccoli
6 ground cherries

in newspaper pots
10 beets
10 spinach
5 marigolds

and as I mentioned
2 3' lengths of gutters with double rows of sugar snap peas

I'll have two more rounds of seed starting this year with things like tomatoes, melons, and squash.

Guess it has only been 3 months since I started this.

Yesterday I did a big harvest of greens along with a handful of beets and turnips and cleared all the scapes from my garlic. My 3 broccoli plants are large and strong and looks really good but has not started to head out yet. My 7' of sugar snap pea pods were great until I didn't have time to harvest for over a week (that week sucked illness throughout the family and then my wife had her appendix out) and now I'm just letting them go to collect seeds.

I fixed and rebuilt some trellises yesterday. I've played with different ideas over the last few years but have now settled on using 1/2" EMT conduit for the frames and tripods. The conduit is like a giant erector set but won't deteriorate like PVC junk. I'm using this for pole bean strings and tomato tripods at least but my large trellises are still wooden framed.

I need to fill in the place where I harvested turnips and beets and I don't really know what to put in yet. Collards may handle the heat yet to come but still produce through freezing. I don't think I have enough basil growing yet.

Season to date I've harvested 7.55 pounds from about 200 sq feet of garden. I've spent $125 on seeds, fun new tools, and some trellises. This give me a cost per pound of $16.55

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back