My banana project

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342364159.614232.jpg

Here's a shot that included my abyssinian banana grove along with my elephant ears and guava.

SoCal,
Great looking plants.

Mine have recovered from the standing water but I think my pups are dead. :( Still haven't moved the big tree yet.

I think I'm in the wrong 'time zone' for bananas. I am not going to try again so everybody's pics will serve as my surrogate banana trees! :) Curbz

I thought you were Bananamama Curbie? Where's all your babies gone too? You should copy from the fella in that website link I posted who also grows bananas in your state. I'm still waiting for my dwarf Ducasse to wake up from her winter sleep...hopefully soon but I'm probably just a bit impatient.
Nancie sorry to hear about your pups. They're tough little fellas so keep an eye on them don't give up yet! Regarding the "big tree" a little at a time will be just fine.:)

@ Ron. Thanks! :D I'm always watching for spider mites and I keep a fresh mix of soap/oil to spray them with since I grow so many plants inside now. Btw, that pepper was hot and awesome! omnomnomnom.

@ Crabber. Ouch about the pups. :( But at least the big one's still alive. Good luck with that one. :)

@ Wombat. Thanks! :D They look even better now!

@ SoCal. Awesome! :) I wish I could grow elephant ears here. I tried some small ones last year but they died. :(

@ Curbz. Ouch! What happened to the last one? You can get a dwarf like a Velutina or a Gran Nain and grow it indoors. They can stay in a pot inside 24/7/365 and do awesome! My Gran Nain was doing great for almost 2 years. It would still be alive and very healthy if I hadn't put it on the deck. They like the indoors. :)

The leaves on my pink banana plants are bigger and about to unfurl! :D I'll post some more pics really soon.

I think my banana plant.......drowned.I put it outside to get some good humidity during the night but then....it POURED for 2 HOURS. I was laying in bed thinking,"wow. this is SO RELAXing!" The tree was drowning while I was purring. I've put some seeds around the 'stump' so if you believe in re-incarnation, the banana tree may return! Maybe I just need to buy a new one :) Curbz

@ Curbz. Buy a new one and grow it indoors by a window. :D If it's a dwarf type it will do awesome inside with mostly just light from the window. Just never put it outside cause they don't like changing their climate. :) Good luck.

Thanks ,CG. I have kept the 'thinger' but I planted seeds around it. Just to make it look nice-er. (That's not a word.) :)Curbz

Sure it's a word, Curbie. It was one of the words in a cussword puzzle I was doing yesterday at the hospital.

My wife does those, Curbie. I don't do the puzzles very often, but I like to keep a book of them in my luggage so I nave access to them when I travel.

That's why I take them on an ariplane. MTM sleeps and I entertain myself with WordSearches. I'm easily entertained. You know how in an airplane, somebody starts the puzzle and then you open up the magazine and the answers don't make ANY sense. I make up words and just start goofing off. Put the vowels in the right place and go from there. "What were you doing while I slept?" (MTM) Playing a game. We play cards when on an airplane and then that stewardess comes around and asks if you want something to drink and we're tangled up in cards."SURE!" Now we have a hazard. That's when the pilot says, "Please put your tray tables & seats in the upright position". Oh, roar........ chug your drink and put the cards away and pretend you're asleep. But your foot is stuck in your carry-on b/c you had to put the cards away. Yep, I'm a world traveler. :) Curbie

Yeah, they pack us in pretty well when you are flying coach and I have never flown any other way on a commercial flight. I try to nap but have rarely been successful.

My banana project is now on hold. They were getting unhealthy indoors and if I put them outside, the heat would kill them. So I gave them to an online friend in Kentucky. He knows a lot about banana plants and he says he can save them. I hope so.
I'm gonna wait and look for an easier variety to grow that likes the indoors. I know Gran Nains do really awesome indoors so that's prolly what I'll get. I know the one I had stayed totally inside for 2 years and was amazing! :D It was even making pups!
Now I wish I hadn't sent the pots too cause I'll need some when I get the Gran Nains. Well, back to Wal Mart, lol.

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back