My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Wombat,
I love the way you have done your beds. I wanted to do something like that and have the whole front yard with paths and benches , but I could find an orgainc material that would not decay quickly. You garden looks great!

Yes , datura dinner would be interesting at the least. :eek:

Wow Wombat, your garden looks great! :) What are those plants with red stems?

@ Crabbergirl. That sounds awesome! If you ever do that, please post pics! :D

Hey glad you like the garden.....but I've changed it since that pic was taken. Yeah Crabber I know what you mean about decaying quickly, that's why I finally settled on something strong and durable. Save me some datura donuts please! :D
Trax they were supposed to be rainbow chard like in this pic but they all turned out red. Must've been mis-labelled somehow but they still tasted great! By the way what are you gonna do with 46 tomato plants?:eek: Curbie and you will have to open a banana and tomato roadside stall;)

Attachments

• rainbow chard.jpg.jpg
    rainbow chard.jpg.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 328
Datura Donuts!
You know, I do have an abundance of concreet block I could use. Tim was going to build me some raised beds like he has done for our neighbors but it is cost prohibitive and you need to use PT lumber , which is no longer going to be an organic garden :(

But if I plant herbs such as wolly thyme and creeping tyme they could flow over the blocks and como them so it didn't look like blocks. Hmmmm this bears some thought.

Thanks, that's awesome! I def gotta get some Chard! :D
Btw, my aunt wants tomatoes for canning and a relish called picalily. They'll prolly all get used! :D Dunno about Curbie's banana farm though. I def want some bananas from that for banana splits! :)

Hey Crabbergirl,
Do the concrete blocks. There's tons of ways you could make it look awesome! :)

Last edited:
Thanks Josh. I am really considering it. Although we are talking about selling our current home, and if I do this I don't want to leave it behind. Maybe just do one trial spot. But that could go in to total job with me. I get started and can't stop :eek:

LOL! That's my prob! I never wanna stop after I start. I keep getting more awesome ideas! :D

;)Welcome to 'can't stop until it's done' thread!!;)
I'm the same way!
Once I get going it really is hard to stop, so I have to force myself to pace it out, or take frequent breaks!

Repotted some more escobaria cactus into larger pots again! Finally got them all done! That was 36 I repotted this season! At least I did't have to repot my opuntias<--nasty little beggers!!
Almost forgot my new seedlings I started from Parkseeds! That will be 57 seedlings to pot up into cell packs! Ahh......tomorrow!!
Then it was the adeniums! Had to repot them because they were starting warp the pots they were in as the underground tuber extension of their cauldex! That was 20 in all!

Then I planted my 4 pots of Moss-leaf Parsley!

Crabber definitely use the blocks they'll look great and if you are moving just, as you said try a smaller herb garden and see how you like it. I used left over sleepers from my retaining wall and painted them with a water based paint that is designed for organic gardens Thanks Ron, I had a great yield that year. Everything I planted came up and thrived, wish that happened every time! I'll have to join you in the can't stop til it's done thread too, I just keep going until it's all done lol

Crabber definitely use the blocks they'll look great and if you are moving just, as you said try a smaller herb garden and see how you like it. I used left over sleepers from my retaining wall and painted them with a water based paint that is designed for organic gardens Thanks Ron, I had a great yield that year. Everything I planted came up and thrived, wish that happened every time! I'll have to join you in the can't stop til it's done thread too, I just keep going until it's all done lol

I really think we need a thread by that title. So many of our yards and gardens are works in progress.
John do you remember the name of the paint? I can't seem to find anything like that although it has been a while since I looked.

Nancie,
You can fill the blocks with soil and plant your woolie thyme! They will cover the tops of the blocks! You can use Sempervivum and Jovibarba to do the same!

Thanks Ron! That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure ti would like being confined like that. I have an area that is really bothering me. I may test the blocks out on that ;) Do you think I should "paint/seal" the blocks first especiall on the inside to help reduce watering? I am worried becuase the place I want is already water deprived and elevating the plants more may be too much. What do you think?

If it's in a sunny spot I'd go with drought tolerant plants! Woolie thyme is one of them!
I wouldn't treat the blocks! Do you really want to add residual chemical to the soil? You could try using plastic up against the blocks.
I assume the spot is mostly sand?
If so, add lots of organic matter to the sand to help absorb and retain soil moisture!

Hi Everyone
I'm new to This forum
it is great to join this Forum, hope i'm welcome in ;)
grey.png

Welcome to Garden Forums! :) What veggies are you growing?

Hey Crabbergirl,
You could use a stain like cherry juice or you could use milk paint. Those are both garden friendly. :)
http://www.realmilkpaint.com/

Btw, I'll be adding about 25 Red Habanero pepper plants to my garden! They sprouted yesterday and now I just needa wait till they make their first real leaves! :D

I really think we need a thread by that title. So many of our yards and gardens are works in progress.
John do you remember the name of the paint? I can't seem to find anything like that although it has been a while since I looked.

I'm not sure if the one I used is available in the US but I found a link that has some info and a few other links that might help you track some down. I used interior paint and it's held up just fine, but from memory it wasn't cheap

http://hubpages.com/hub/Organic-Paint-For-Your-Home

Welcome to Garden Forums! :) What veggies are you growing?

Hey Crabbergirl,
You could use a stain like cherry juice or you could use milk paint. Those are both garden friendly. :)
http://www.realmilkpaint.com/

Btw, I'll be adding about 25 Red Habanero pepper plants to my garden! They sprouted yesterday and now I just needa wait till they make their first real leaves! :D

Thanks for the cool like Josh! If the woolie thyme does what I want it too I won't paint I don't think.

I'm not sure if the one I used is available in the US but I found a link that has some info and a few other links that might help you track some down. I used interior paint and it's held up just fine, but from memory it wasn't cheap

http://hubpages.com/hub/Organic-Paint-For-Your-Home

Cool. One of the links in thsi link was the same one Josh posted. Cool oh guys! Thanks a million!!!! That could be used for many of my projects.

Glad I could help you out in one of your many projects Crabber. My latest one is re-designing / re-locating my veggie beds as some trees next door have gotten taller and are now shading them a little. I'm thinking of bringing them a little closer to the house and extending my little rainforest into the new shady area. I've got to try and get it all done by August, that's when my Summer planting begins in earnest. I'll be a busy boy for the next couple of months but then again, idle hands are the devils workshop they say!:D

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back