My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I pulled rhubarb for the first time yesterday and made a crisp with it off food tv. Neither my wife nor I could finish a serving of it. Though and fiberous and the chunks never cooked down like i expected. Rhubarb gets one more chance in the kitchen then it goes and frees up garden space.

Those posums are nothing like we have in North America. I don't think anyone in the US would not kill a posum because it looked even remotely cute. How mean are the aussie posums? The ones around here will put up a major fight but that may just be because of the proximity to Chicago and gangland.

They're not mean per se but they are territorial and will defend their ground especially the brushtails, as I mentioned above ringtails are much quieter and you hardly know they're around. I've only seen them at night by accident during full moons when the light is good. I'm wary of both of them as they have sharp claws for climbing trees but they rarely attack unless cornered, like most wild animals. The ones in my yard are ok and tend to ignore me except when I have something to eat for them:rolleyes:

Mr Yan
Neither my wife nor I could finish a serving of it. Though and fiberous and the chunks never cooked down like i expected.
We usually render ours down with a cup of sugar and a few drops of lemon juice and make a jam. I find a little goes a long way because of the intense flavors. In recipes I partially cook the cubed stems before adding them!
Try mixing strawberries and blueberries with the rhubarb.
I make a kind of bread pudding that I bake, it always turns out great and serve it with maple syrup!

Well I suppose they are cute but not when they tend to eat all the fruit from your trees if you give them half a chance :mad: We also have ringtail possums but they're a bit shy, the brushtails are just the opposite, as the pics above show! lol Yours look like aggressive little buggers:D This is a pic of Mrs Ringtail with a couple of kids.

I would've loved to have a tree like that to climb on when I was a kid, we only had huge mango trees as most of the avocados were "off limits" to us kids:D

Wow! They are so cute! I know they can be destructive as well as aggravating but I could never kill one of those. I relocate even our ugly ones :rolleyes:

rhubarb & blueberries! Now there's an idea. Tim and our neighbor went to Georgia yesterday to pick blueberries. I was up till 10 last night cleaning berries and canning pie filling. I ran out of jars so today I will get jelly jars and make some Jam. I also found my grandma's recipe for blueberry jelly. Now I have never even seen blueberry jelly. I think I have enough I can try it anyway. I have also frozen some for cereals and ice cream :D

Got the veggie garden weeded and raked out!
Now I can start planting this afternoon!

Noticed that we have more rabbits this year, probably due to the mild winter-less winter!
I'm going to have to fence in the veggie garden to keep them out!
They have been coming down from the farmer's field to eat the dandelions on the lawns for the last couple of months!
The fence will give me more space for cucs....don't want to dig the garden bigger so I'll go vertical instead!

Thanks for reminding me Nancie....I do have a packet of red carrots to sow!!
Yup, got them right here~ 'Scarlet Nates'....
Sorry, I don't do bunnies! They look like skinned cats.....

Mikiejack ~ That sounds terrific! Ron, have fun planting carrots! I just have flowers but my Easter lilies are blooming and my hosta are ready to. :) Curbster

Never got back to the veggie garden yesterday after weeding and raking it level!
Decided to spread manure on the front garden along the front of the house!
I have two flats of red leaf begonias to plant to color up the front....have to wait for the soil to settle for a few days before planting them!
Then repotted several 3 year old paper birch sapplings into larger pots....then I was too tired to do anything else!

Thanks for reminding me Nancie....I do have a packet of red carrots to sow!!
Yup, got them right here~ 'Scarlet Nates'....
Sorry, I don't do bunnies! They look like skinned cats.....

ewww thanks for the visual:eek: I do very little meat and def not bunnies :(

That is a lot of work Ron.

It was raining when I got home so I never made it to the garden. I have got to pull out the rest of the beans, spread more mulch and get some new stuff planted. The squash just melted with all the rain:mad: corn is done.
Okra and bok choy are doing well as are the tomatoes despite the late blight. I have these 9' tall bushes with only about 2 ' worth of leaves at the very top but the tomatoes are huge and beautiful. Go figure.

I watched someone pull out a bunny that was all dressed and it looked like a skinned cat! That was a complete end to any thought of trying bunny stew or braised rabbit!
I do tend to be visual and it was a complete turn off......shiver!

Yesterday: I got some of the fencing up around the veggie garden.
Need to finish it today, then I can start planting!
Noticed that the bunnies come down right through the garden on a regular basis so fencing was the only option to protect the plants!
Now I'll have the fence to train the cucs up as well as the dwarf scarlet runners!
I'm definitely going vertical!

I watched someone pull out a bunny that was all dressed and it looked like a skinned cat! That was a complete end to any thought of trying bunny stew or braised rabbit!
I do tend to be visual and it was a complete turn off......shiver!

the idea of dead animals in their non grocery store state( an even then I think more than twice before buying) just gets to me. I'll do fish, venison only when it is an act of God. I no longer hunt, haven't for about 30 years. Just can't seem to do it. I will shoot a gator if it comes in the yard,( to protect the pets and kids) and it will end up on the table but I won't hunt them. My veggies never make a sound when I harvest them and they don't look at me either. I never get all sad when I kill a squash.

I had to fence as well, mostly due to the armadillos :rolleyes: now the squirrels are stealing tomatoes! It's always something.

Last edited:
I was planning to replant this weekend , but we had another very wet storm last night and the ground is too squishy. Besides it's Father's Day weekend and I am taking Tim fishing. ( Don't tell him but it is as much for me as him :D) If the rain lets up I may work on Sunday in the garden. I need to pull all the dead stuff out. Lucky I still have 4-5 more months before our first frost .

Nice garden, things are just getting started in my area. But I have peas now.

growing-peas2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm tellling Tim! LOL! What's your phone #? I did a stupid thing and it is MOSTLY for me :) (I love myself) For MTM for Father's Day, I ordered lobsters from Maine. Since I grow a lot of marigolds, I simply keep replanting them. They're around just about all of the other plants AND marigolds keep bugs away. :) Have a great Father's Day everybody. Curbster

PEAS! I have never tried to grow them. I like Ron's idea of a vertical garden. Will you harvest peas or are they sweet pea flowers? Curbie

I'm tellling Tim! LOL! What's your phone #? I did a stupid thing and it is MOSTLY for me :) (I love myself) For MTM for Father's Day, I ordered lobsters from Maine. Since I grow a lot of marigolds, I simply keep replanting them. They're around just about all of the other plants AND marigolds keep bugs away. :) Have a great Father's Day everybody. Curbster

I don't get those things for Father's day. I'm sure I will be spoiled in some other manner though.

Attachments

• Rotten Woman.jpg
    Rotten Woman.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 259

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back