Name this Bug

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

kcb37

I figured I would start a new thread for this. Probably gonna have some more too.
As far as the answer/guesses go, I have no idea so...
Took a picture of this one tonight, curious to know what it is. I am assuming a fly of some type, but we know what assuming does so.
They are on my Blue Berry Bushes. Can't remeber and didn't look tonight but may have been on the Apple and Pear trees.
The body is a light tan (kinda hard to see cause of the flash)
Anyway here are some pics.
Origional and doctored to help rid of the flash glare.
P1000352.jpg

P1000352-1.jpg

So I think I may have found the answer to my question.
Looks like a fruit fly from what I have found so far. What kind is another question.
I have been unable to find weather they are good or bad.
So I guess the next question is do I need to get rid of them or not?

If it is indeed a fruit fly then most of them are regarded as a pest. While some are harmless the majority are a nuisance and need to be gotten rid of asap. As most fruit flies have distinctive markings, someone here may be able to id it immediately for you.

I'm wondering! Just need to know the size of the fly!
I wasn't thinking fruitfly!
It looks like it's legs are covered with pollen, so I'm thinking it is probably a pollinating species! This would narrow down the search!
Another thought is that fruitflies show up during the fall harvest, while yours showed up during blossom time so it definitly is not a fruitfly, or at least not in the fruitfly family!
Fruitflies normally have red colored eyes, and that is a dead give-away!

Guess I'm kinda dumb right now. I can't think of anything to compare it to other then about half the size of a full grown house fly.
So not real big for a fly but not shrimpy.

Don't be KCB!
I could look up the name of your bug, but it may take a while since there are so many of them, some are regional species!
Just know that your bug is not harmful, and is probably a beneficial bug!

Not saying I am, just one of those moments. Oh gotta add another moment, I am in Tn, North Western side right at the Kentucky Border.
Keep in mind I am not asking anyone to do anything for me. I can search myself.
However if you have the knowledge and/or time and you want to. I do appreciate any help.
I do think you are right though ron.
Looking at the pics I took, the "stinger" if you will would seem to me as how it collects pollen as a house fly does not have a "stinger", as you said the pollen on it's legs, or what appears to be pollen. I do think you are correct.
I have not looked today but what I saw yesterday seemed like the pattern on it's body matched a fruit fly.
Great to have some help. By the way thank you. If you wish to continue and try to identify this for me, thank you again, and I do appreciate it. More or less my interest at this point has been answered as it's not harmful.
I am not sure how much you have read about me yet (my posts are limited so far) but this is my (parent's had some years ago) garden. So I am sure you all will help me. Alot.

Last edited:
I think this is a white bee but not sure about it.These bees are very dangerous for plants and damage the whole crop in quick time.These bees attack in the form of groups and put many negative effects on the cultivated area.You can use spray of fertilizer to remove these bees.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back