Name this critter!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Some carpenter bees burrows in the ground, others in dead wood.If they carve a hole it trees it usually doesn't hurt the tree if it is alive. Female have stingers,male do not. Females are not aggressive and will only sting if her nest is being harmed.
So just leave her and it (her nest) alone and all your open faced plants and you will be happy*LOL

Is the green thing a gecko or newt? We know it is a lizard....

Kale:)

I don't know what to call the thing but we have many on our deck in the summer and occasionally they run in the house when we open the front door. My puppy loves to chase them. We call them the geico.

:eek:My guess is the old buzzard is eating a dead gray squirrel.:eek:

It was a black squirrel, we don't have gray in this area only black and red. I think it was probably killed by a racoon family that was living under a neighbour's sunroom until they discovered the fact they were there and blocked it off when they left in the evening. The stinkers pooped on my shed roof. I put up some cracked corn for the doves not knowing the 'coons were living in the area and they would go up and eat the corn and use it as their latrine. So I stopped putting out the corn for a bit and hosed off the roof then got on a ladder and sprinkled it with red C. pepper. I think they're back in the bush now at the end of our street and probably sleeping for the winter. We didn't have them until the 'District' introduced green composting boxes. Of course, they thought, "Yumm, free food."

Sash, the black squirrels are a variant of the gray squirrels. I looked them up one time and I was surprised to see how many color variants there were for the gray.

I said a Black squirrel!
Black squirrels here do not look like grays or reds,around here; they are way smaller and are not friendly like the reds.Grey on the other hand in NY, would get friendlier in residential areas if fed otherwise not at all.
Reds no matter where I see them are so very friendly.
I did learn recently that they reds are mating with the blacks which gives rather interesting markings.

Dont know now the eastern grays got hooked up with the Mi. black squirrels because I have not see them.Told they do not have them. Interesting enough.Now what was the animals that killed the squirrel:(
Raccoon family ?? Was it a raccoon?

Here you go..
It bores in wood stems MI.zone 5

Kale:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got interested in looking up the black squirrels after a newspaper article came out in the Mansfied, Ohio paper. They seemed to have quite a few black squirrels that year and it caused some concern. But succeeding articles explained them as a variant and that was from the state game biologists. My Dad grew up in Oklahoma and during the depression years did a great deal of hunting to supplement the family table. He had a brother and 6 sisters so there were quite a few to feed. Anyway, he always called the squirrels they had in southern Oklahoma 'fox squirrels'. I don't think they are a variant of the gray squirrel, but I am not sure. We do have two squirrel varieties here with the gray being one of them. The gray is a much larger squirrel than the other one and the smaller variety is what we have around our place in abundance.

Kale,
I had the perfect critter for this thread and as I was posting Sat in another thread my home computer crashed. I have a virus. So I will post when I get up and running at home. I was so mad because I had a cool critter pic for you

I'm gunna say the green fellow is an anole....and the dead fellow is an Emerald ash borer? I have 5 ash trees dying from those suckers!

Our fox squirrels are big and reddish brown to almost grey depending on the season and shedding. They're okay. But we have red squirrels, also called ground squirrels, which are smaller, much redder, and get into places they shouldn't and chew up wiring. The fox squirrels don't do that. The red squirrels will chase off fox squirrels, too.
I've never seen a black squirrel around here. I remember seeing them when we were out west and they're beautiful little creatures or maybe it was just the novelty of never seeing them before.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back