Need a remedy for a cracked cuticle

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been helping a friend at his used appliance store and been helping to clean the appliances. My hands have been in the water way too much. I know I need to wear gloves but that is just not me. Does anyone have a remedy for healing the cracked cuticle on my index finger. It's quite sore and it's hard to key. Any help is appreciated.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crazy glue works wonders! I've used it to repair a few finger nails over the years!
For split skin on the finger tips I use Liquid Bandage<<--- you may need to aply 2 or more layers.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Ron I have some Liquid bandage, I will try it for that. I have been trying to keep a bandage on it at night.

Last edited:

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've heard of using crazy glue for cuts! I've never tried it for cuts but I have used it for the nail repair.
I can't stand using gloves either Dale, and in the summer my hands take a licking! Digging in the dirt and such is so rough on hands. I use Vaseline Intensive Care lotion but even the best of lotions don't help that much.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
My hands crack a lot in winter and part of it is due to washing my hands a lot. But we use a compound called "Bag Balm". It is antiseptic, and the main ingredient in it is lanolin. It comes in two sizes of containers and I have a large container that was given to me about 30 years aog and I have used about half of it. Then I have two small containers and it isn't likely I will ever use it all up. But it was used in the beginning for applying to a cow's udder when it was chapped. But the usage has spread to chapped hands and lips, cracked skin, etc. I think drug stores will have it, but certainly farm and garden stores will. That large can was given to me by a friend when I was doing service work on heating and refigeration equipment. In the winter, my hands would crack and bleed. The bag balm applied at night made all the difference in the world.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy I had forgotten about that kind of cream. WalMart sell the Udder Cream and it has the black spots on the jar and white back ground like a cow. hehehehe that has worked for my husband before. Will get some and try. The crack is sore and it has cracked and bleed some.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can also use Tea tree oil for healing it will not close the wound but it will help heal cracked dry skin. Also to keep them from drying use the oil as a daily night time treatment

Dor

Make sure you use some peroxide to clean the cut Dale and I use neosporin. The store brand is ok to use to help the cut heal also. I tend to get little cracks in the corner of my mouth that the doctor says is cause by vitamin deficiency and that is what I use. Those little splits are so sore. The neosporin works fast.

Interesting discussion.... interesting ideas. My cuticles crack badly when I'm in my Christmas greenery business.... I'll try some of these out next fall and winter.

Randy your little story remoinds me of a friend I have who farms a dairy. He has trouble with his hands and his doctoprr prescribed the hand lotion from Victoria's Secret. So he orders some on line and the next thing you know he's recieving the catalogs in the mail regularly. His wife, just rolls her eyes. Anyway he's supposed to smear it on disposable nitrile gloves ,the blue ones, turn them inside out and wear them to bed every night. (His wife just rolls her eyes.) I've been thinking about talking to my doc about a prescription.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, if it works for your friend, it sounds like a good idea. Besides, it would give your Frau a chance to roll her eyes. LOL

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another use for Vicks is to rub Vicks on the bottom of your feet and put on socks when you go to bed at night. It helps your cough. It's crazy but have tried it and it works.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com