New guy from the backwoods in PA

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mikie1856

Hello all,
I have been trying to Garden in the woods for some time I do think I have it licked
eek.gif
it is hard to garden in the backwoods, this year I put 10" of compost in the garden the soil I have been working with is depleted of all nutrients, when I tested the soil and the PH was above 8 I have now worked on it this year, I have setup a feed system with a drip feeder, the fertilizer I am using is a master blend 4-18-38 Calcium Nitrate 19.5-0-0 potassium Sulphate 0-0-50-17 I would like to see some of your input on this matter not sure if I went overboard but we will see, what do you guys think?

One thing I found is that you can never add enough organic matter to the soil......peat moss is great to reduce the your ph and helps to hold nutrients.
I like using sheep manure for more nutrients (and and organic matter), it tends to have a lot less weed seeds then horse, or cow manure. Horse and cow manure are great if you compost it first to kill weed seeds.
The best way to go is organic to create happy healthy soil!

That's true about the horse poop. My daughter has three horses now so we have an abundance of horse poop. I am sure some of the seeds are neutralized while composting but weeds are still a perpetual problem. There is no shortage of organic matter, however. LOL

I tend compost our leaves and sometimes the neighbors. I use this compost on my beds every year. i put my tomatoes in straight up compost this year and they are doing really great.

Well as you can see my avatar when I put it in the ground 2 weeks ago there was only 4 inch's sticking out of the ground, as of right now it is better than 12 inch's and tomato's are growing, in the past they grew but i only got 2 tomato's from each plant, now I am going to tell you guys where I am coming from I had a garden in Ohio where I got 50 to 80 Lbs of tomato's from each plant, but I had a friend tell me how to set it up, he was an ex farmer, I moved out here in the Pocono's in woods I cut down trees to get a garden going and that was in 1986, now in the last 2 years I have been working on getting a garden with allot of testing going on and allot of reading online I will not quit until I get it down to where I know I can grow vegetables here, I just think the soil is missing something or all of the lime stone would have something to do with itm I get all the compost I need for free, Horse manure compost.

Last edited:
Soil test kits are fairly inexpensive and that would at least tell you if you are short of nutrients.

you can get soil kits in big garden centers...sometimes your local extension centers will do soil tests and sell kits for testing your soil....veggies love a higher pH.......good luck.........

I used horse poop on my garden in woodstock......it had to be really older, if fresh, you will get lots of weeds.....I also used chicken poop sometimes....you can also make a tea....with poop and water.....

good luck......growing veggies is so rewarding.....
bobbi

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back