New Mantis in Residence

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Luke35

Last year I watered some lilies along the side of the house almost every day. Each time, I had a large green praying mantis that came up out of the lily furthest to the left and a large brown one in the lily furthest to the right. As soon as the hose hit the lily leaves, those buggers would crawl up the siding on the house out of the hose spray.

They usually got a pretty good shower before getting out of the way. One day in July or August, I had my green fellow up on the house and as I moved from one lily to the other, he accidentally got a heavy shot of water right in the kisser as I moved the spray stream.

Greenie dropped down to the dirt and started crawling across the sidewalk and into the grass toward the house next door. As he walked away, I could almost see and hear him saying, "I've had enough of this sh!+, I'm getting the hell out of here and finding a new place to live!" It was funny to imagine him saying that at the time, until the next day and the day after that and the rest of the summer = I NEVER did see him back again.

This evening I found the little guy in the photos when I gave the lilies a drink - right in the same spot that old Greenie used to call home. Maybe a new fellow moved in or is an offspring? I'll have to be more careful that I don't disturb him too much.

Attachments

• PRE_2011-06-17-150136.jpg
    PRE_2011-06-17-150136.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 354
  • PRE_2011-06-17-150146.jpg
    PRE_2011-06-17-150146.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 364
I've always found them to be honored guests in my garden. I notice this year I have a bumper crop of lady bugs so there is something here for them to eat. My garden is looking better this year than most. So I'm going to let them stay.

And another!

Last night, I found another even smaller mantis in another section by a rose bush and some mulch. This fellow was REALLY small! Hopefully he'll choose to stick around as well.

There he is on a rose leaf in the first two pictures and a wider angle shot of the area for frame of reference. I was actually on the other side of the fence when the little guy caught my eye. I sent my four year old inside to get my phone/camera because I knew I would never be able to find him again if I went in to get it myself. I'm not even sure how I happened to notice him in the first place. Just lucky I guess.:D

Attachments

• PRE_2011-06-18-204827.jpg
    PRE_2011-06-18-204827.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 351
  • PRE_2011-06-18-204859.jpg
    PRE_2011-06-18-204859.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 335
  • PRE_2011-06-18-205103.jpg
    PRE_2011-06-18-205103.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 345
Great observations Luke, I love it when these guys arrive in the summer. I put in a lot of flowers and veggies that attract "good bugs" and it's a real treat to see my little backyard buddies turn up.....makes all the effort worthwhile.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back