New user from TN

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

rockhound

Hi all. I am a new member but an old gardener. Retired now and even cut back on garden size to a few containers by the door. Too old to fight the bermuda grass any more, lol.
Last year I had tomatoes, peppers, cukes, onions (for scallions) kale and cilantro. Probably about the same mix this year unless I find something interesting in the catalogs that are starting to roll in. I wish everyone a great and productive gardening year in 2012.:)

Rock
Welcome! It is always nice to have a new member join us!
You must have a lot of garden experiences that are worthy of sharing!

I'm assuming you also like to hunt for rocks too. I have never done that, but had some friends in the past that took advantage of Oregon's volcanoes to find some interesting stuff.

Welcome Welcome to you both
It is so good to "see" new faces
Enjoy yourselves and jump right in.
WELCOME!!!!

Welcome aboard to ya both - be sure to get alittle dirt under those finger nails with us all now ok -- welcome once again,it's a pleasure!! :):p:D:)

I am in zone 6. I am in the Southern Appalachian mountains. Our springs are wet and summers very dry. What zone are you in in TN?

Styxjustrocks~ Sorry I didn't see your reply til just now. I am in 6b just a little west of Nashville, a flat-lander to you, lol. We usually have a last killing frost around April 15th but I have gone out and covered stuff up til May sometime. Averages are just that, half the time it's later. Since I start my tomatoes from seed, I do extras just in case of freak weather. They're usually easy to find a home for later if not needed. I see you are in zone 6, when do you set stuff out?

I put stuff out after May 10th. Sometimes we have weird weather and will have a late freeze. That happened a few years ago. It was June 5 and most people in our region lost whole gardens. Something about a blackberry winter. I do keep tender plants in the shed at night til I am sure it is safe. Never been to Nashville. Would like to see the Thunderbirds. Maybe next year.

Yeah, it's always a gamble. That's why I over-plant. Gives me one more chance if I need it. I would rather push the envelope, as they say. Many times I have good luck and sometimes I lose, oh well.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back