Onion Trouble

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

BVnLJ

Hi,
First time poster.
I have a problem and really don't know how serious it is. I never planted onions before and wanted to start this year. I got a jump on the season and planted about 3 weeks ago. Here in the Pittsburgh area the weather has been very mild so I wanted to get a head start. The onions are growing and are about 5-6 inch tall, but here is my problem. The other night we had a frost coming so we used a sheet to cover some other plants near by. The sheet somehow blew over the onions and bent and broke some of the onion tops (about 75 onions). They are still connected but the are kinked and some are bent over but not broken. My question is, will the onions still grow? should I pull the broken ones and but more sets and replant? Will the ones bent but not broken recover?
I have never planted onions before so I at a loss. From what I read here it looks like if the are bent or broken they are done. Can anyone please advise me?
Thank You in advance.
BVnLJ

I would leave them a while to see how many recover. Is there enough space elsewhere to plant a few more just in case?

I would not worry. onions grow in many adverse conditions and they will
continue to grow. Nice to see you here.

Welcome BV n LJ!
A common practice is to "top" your onions. So Cutting off the damaged "leaves" is ok. It will actually force more energy to the bulb and produce very nice size onions. Just cut the leaves, DO NOT cut into the actual stem of the bulb. ( that is the thick part the leaves come off of) ;)

I wouldn't worry about your onions!
They are cold hardy and can put up with a lot of abuse!
Just leave them be and they will recover in no time with new leaves!
I would just snip off the damaged parts and leave the rest. The bent leaves are fine!

Thank you all for your welcome and advice. I will post in a few weeks and let you know how the patients are doing.

Thanks again BVnLJ

They are right about your onions. Onions are very hardy. Last summer I planted leeks and they didn't seem to be doing well all summer. I planted them a little late in the season. So in Aug. I gave up and tilled over the top of them and planted garlic along side where the leeks were.

When the weather cooled down in Oct. The leeks started to grow again. I covered them over the winter and this spring they are hardy and about 1 inch around.Then the garlic started to grow right next to them. So I now have garlic and leeks growing side by side.

Moral of story, don't give up on your onions. I live in planting zone 4.

Good Luck!

Good News,

The onions look like they are recovering very well. Only a few will need to be trimmed if they don't perk up in the next week or so.

Thanks for everyones help. I will post an update on their status soon.
BVnLJ.

Onion update,

Wow you guys were right! My onions recovered well and are going strong.

Thanks again for your help.

BVnLJ

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back