Onions In Containers?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

Do you think I can grow red onions in containers? I have already put my peppers in containers because I have no room in my garden which is very small.

Any sugggestions?

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can, the main thing is to make sure the containers are deep enough and wide enought. At least a 6" deep and 6" wide container per onion for table onions.If you a planting little green type onions you can have them crowed and they do well. They like well drained soil. They do not want their feet to stay wet. I do not even use organic fertilizer on mine but they are in the ground. You may want to make sure you have healthy soil . Potting soil has no "food" (unless you get the type with "food" added) as most has been "cooked" before bagging.

Trax

I like this idea. :) Will big onions grow indoors in pots if they're in a window?

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have had them grow but they need a lot of light. Adjust your pot size according to the size onion you want to grow. They really don't need to be too deep. But you must allow for the bulb to grow. Think amaryllis.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'll need to fertilize regularly! Veggies are greedy and will delete the soil nutrients quickly! I'd go with half strength every other week!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com