Overwatering? If so, what to do?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

prr

I believe a tree (corkscrew willow) that I just planted has been over-watered. There are plenty of green leaves that are withered. One of the trunks is green, the others are a dark grey.

I just planted it yesterday (Friday 27 June), and I honestly don't recall looking at the roots at all. I was not thinking that it has been overwatered, but I'm puzzled by the leaves being so green, and yet withered.

Is there any other explanation?

Also, if in fact the tree has been overwatered, what should I do? Just wait several more days before the next watering?

It was in a 1 ga container, getting a lot of sun outdoors, partial shade but still a lot of sun.

If in fact it is not being over watered, would you suggest another good watering? I gave it about 4 ga when I planted it in the ground.

If a pic would help I can do that....

Give it a good deep soaking every other day until it recovers......
Just sit back and wait for it to recover...
A pic would help!

I can give it a nice drink every other day. No problem.

One more thing--I've read that trees really shouldn't be given fertilizer or miracle gro or anything like that.

Is that true in this case? Not even that Superthrive?

Fertilizer is really not required since willows are fast growers!!
It would be a good idea to cover the ground around the tree with a few inches of mulch to help maintain soil moisture!

Your pics showed me what I figured the tree would look like from your previous description!

Reactions: prr
Well I went out this morning to give it the every other day watering, and I noticed a LOT of small green leaves, especially at the bottom, but even some at the top. That tells me that the tree is recovering and is starting to grow.

Now the older bigger leaves are still withered and yellow.... was hoping that they would make a comeback.

But I'm seeing a lot of small new growth, so I'm very optimistic about this tree.

It was just a matter of time Prr!
You might like to thin out the new growth at the base of the tree, or you will have a giant bush rather than an upright tree.....
You can pluck off the yellowed withered leaves if you like to give it a cleaner look.

You know what, I looked at the pics I took a couple of days ago and I do think SOME of the longer leaves have in fact recovered. There are still some yellow and withered ones, but a lot of the longer leaves are a healthy green.

Thanks a bunch for the advice.

OK now.... one more thing about mulch.

I have an awful lot of 3/8 inch rock that I'd love to use as a mulch of sorts (its free, as in already paid for---mulch would require a trip to Lowes and a purchase). Actually I used it (unintentionally) as a mulch for my Idaho Locust and that thing has grown very strong and healthy. Is there anything wrong with putting small rock down at the base of this corkscrew? I read that doing this woujld increase the heat in the soil, but it sure didn't hurt my Idaho locust.

Your thoughts?

Since you have the stone mulch by all means use it. It will help reduce the amount of soil moisture loss......

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back