Passion {Flower} Fruit

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Prowl

I had one last Year, but it Died.... Starting again as I'm sure it was something I did that made it die.... :(
This is it Last Year

Attachments

• FoetidaBud18thAugust08.jpg
    FoetidaBud18thAugust08.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 439

Spider_Lily

These grow wild here is this what you have?My horse usually eat's all the fruit.:)

Attachments

• MTM5ODE5MTI2Nzk6.jpg
    MTM5ODE5MTI2Nzk6.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 408

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do have some growing wild but don't use the fruit. Looks exactly like what Spider Lily has. Unforunately the fruit has loads of seeds so to remove the fruit once it falls is a good idea. Passion flower is an invasive weed to me and spreads like wild fire!

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
love seeing them...but have to say I have stopped growing them ..they took three years to get going...then once they did...OH MY ...I had them coming up all over the yard...

Spider_Lily

I do have some growing wild but don't use the fruit. Looks exactly like what Spider Lily has. Unforunately the fruit has loads of seeds so to remove the fruit once it falls is a good idea. Passion flower is an invasive weed to me and spreads like wild fire!

They are everywhere:eek: here to but my horse take's care of most of them.Except the one's that come back year after year in my yard and the mower gets those.

Spider_Lily

Basically the same thing fruit sound's the same only yellow tan color when ripe full of seed .flower's the same different color, invasive.Vine looks like the one we have here.Strong smelling fruit when ripe.

swindy

Oh boy I talked my cousin into planting one in his garden in Fl. He just planted it this year maybe I should tell him that it is very invasive---- he's gona hate me. I had a friend that grew them in Calif but he had a lot of property and I thought they were so beautiful.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it produces fruit..it is invasive. My sister has a red one..no fruit... a hybrid, no doubt. Those maybe an ok addition.
Like Debe, I mowed bunches of the new plants last year. This is going on my third year after adding it to my yard..I am scared!!!

Prowl

Yes it looks the same too.:)When they bloom again this Summer I will take a closer look and picture.:)

Cool Thanks

My Foetida's Having a Growth Spurt MeThinks.... It's going a bit NUTS!!!!!
So Hoping for Flowers now

Remmber this Plant is in a pot on my Windowsill....

Attachments

• FoetidaGoingaBitNuts3rdJune09.jpg
    FoetidaGoingaBitNuts3rdJune09.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 429
  • FoetidaGrowingTip3rdJune09.jpg
    FoetidaGrowingTip3rdJune09.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:

flowersforlife

Cool thread! I LOVE passion flower vines but all of mine are potted. That is interesting Prowl, SpiderLily and Gloria you have wild passion flowers. Didn't know about that. The flowers are so pretty. I went to the live links Prowl provided. Are your leaves smelly as stated on that link?

Spider_Lily

There beginning to climb on everything here's a bloom I found today.

Attachments

• MOMS FLOWERS 027.JPG
    MOMS FLOWERS 027.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 425

Bernie

When I was a kid on Maui we grew lilikoi (passion fruit) on our farm for a number of years. The juice is used to make POG Passion Orange Guava juice. I believe Dairygold sells it across the country and Hawaiian Sun sells a frozen version of it called Pass-O-Guava. Very refreshing drink and healthy too. It is also used to make jelly, pancake syrup, pie, cake, you name it.
We had five acres of lilikois grown in long rows much like a wine vineyard. They never had a chance to self seed as we picked the ripe fruit and sold it. Every day at 11:45AM on the dot the honey bees would descend on the vineyard and we would leave to have lunch. By 1 PM the bees would all be gone. You could set your watch by those bees. The Lilikoi fruit we grew was yellow and very sour but there is a purple lilikoi that grows wild that is sweet. We just cut them in half and sucked out the seeds. Yummy. To get the juice for making jelly we would put the seeds in cheesecloth and squeeze out every drop we could.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, Invasive to say the least , and Swindy they do grow wild in Fl too. I have a red and a purple both in pots! But they do make beautiful trellis plants. They are a mees to clean up after the first freeze though.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com