Pea Problems

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kokabel

First of all, I'm growing in pots on a first level apartment building on a cement slab. I thought I would get some light in the evening, but as it turns out I get no direct light at all on my north-facing slab. When I realized that I realized my chances of a successful garden just plummeted (although I snuck my tomatoes out front in the public area under some stairs and they get full sun Yay!). However, when I did my plant selection I focused on shade-able plants with high hopes.

So far, my plants are VERY slow. My peas I started and moved outside first. This variety was called Freezonian, and I read they can tolerate a frost so I thought why not! I had trellis problems with them at first (they don't cling to bamboo rods fyi. I ended up having to use hemp twine with the bamboo I got, but it took my plants a bit to hook onto that). Then they had some run-ins with our neighbor's dog they let off-leash, so two of my four plants got snapped and bent early on in their growth.

Now they have this white growing on the leaves. They still have fairly small leaves, and the older ones are affected while the newer growth is not. I'd like to prevent whatever it is from spreading if I can.

The closest thing I can find online to what I see is something called Leaf Miners in tomatoes? I can't figure out if they attack pea plants as well. Or if peas have some other problem instead. The white looks like white veins spreading over they leaves. There aren't splotches or dots of white, but almost patterned white. Any help would be great at this point. If it is leaf miners, are there other plants I should keep away from my peas in case? I have kale, chard, tomatoes(but they're out front with the rest out back), cilantro (also out front), thyme, oregano, and mint.

This was my first attempt gardening by myself since I helped my parents as a kid (12 acre farm lol), and this is turning to be a whole new experience for me.

Thanks for anything!

Leaf miners will attack peas. You will see very distinct wiggly lines they will not be straight. If the leaves look like they have turned to "lace", This is other insect damage and both can be controlled by spraying a number of things, Organicide, neem oil or BT. I think it is caused by tiny caterpillar/worms. Look on the undersides of your leaves. While you are at the spraying, spay all of your plants. If damage is minimal it is highly suggested you remove affected leaves and do not compost. I always put them in a ziplock bag and then in the garbage

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back