Peppers and Tomatoes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made a few post several weeks ago, I think it was in the "Greasy Bean Patch" thread under the "Over the Picket Fence" forum...about Pepper seeds I ordered. The site was recommended by Blueaussie. I ordered Fooled You and Ancho pepper seeds from Tomatogrowers.com. They sent a bonus of 25 Giant Belguim tomato seeds. The update is..they sent the seeds pronto and I now have small plants of all growing. I'll try and post pics tomarrow. I can't get over how fast the tomatoes are growing! These have got to be a fantastic tomatoes. The description says 2 to 5 pound fruits. I'll be happy with 2 pound fruits!!:D One with fill a pint jar, don't you think? :eek:
I started my seeds in a winter sown plastic container and have transplanted the toms to a large flat now. The peppers are still in plastic containers but doing great..100 percent germination on all. I plan to save a lot of seeds from these peppers and toms this year.
I've also planted some Golden Marconi peppers from seeds I recieved in trade last year. They are up and growing also. I'll do updates as they grow.

Jade

Sounds like those Giant Pinks are favorable on the net. It may take a little more than one to fill a jar, but little more than one. One thing I have found with the Giant tomatoes is that they don't produce, but this one is supposed to. I am so hungry for good tasting tomatoes that I can almost taste them as I research them. We filled up our new raised bed tonight and are likely to plant the first 3 tomatoes tomorrow. Better boy are always my favorite. I love the mix that we got from our local garden center, 3 yards topsoil, 2 yards compost of leaf and tree. I wish that we had have them come in before the yard was seeded last year and spread 20 yards all over the yard. We have mostly subsoil now, such is life with a new house.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I plant a "field" of toms each season.. I have any where from 4 to 8 rows of toms about 60 ft long. My choice is Better Boy, Early Girl and Celebrity. Giant Belgiums is in the testing stage for me! I can't wait to see how they turn out.
There's nothing better than a fresh tomato sandwich with a little salt, pepper and mayo!

Jade

I plant a "field" of toms each season.. I have any where from 4 to 8 rows of toms about 60 ft long. My choice is Better Boy, Early Girl and Celebrity. Giant Belgiums is in the testing stage for me! I can't wait to see how they turn out.
There's nothing better than a fresh tomato sandwich with a little salt, pepper and mayo!

My fav is a toasted sandwich of marg. or butter, I am a big believer in butter, Tomato, white pepper and a little salt, delish.

R

RiverRock

making me drool here! Oh I cant wait for those fresh tomato sandwiches also! I am doing a variety of toms this year I think 10 differant ones.so will see what tastes the best:) I look foward to seeing how that huge one does for you Gloria!

RR

richnkim

It sound like you have some really nice tomatoes and peppers there, Gloria. I know that I can't wait for mine.

Blueaussi

I have the Giant Belgiums going, too. We'll have to do a comparison and see how they turned out.

If you plant to save seed on your peppers, be sure to separate the different varieties by distance or else bag some blooms. Peppers are like little garden trollops and will cross pollinate with with each other quite readily.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I try and separate all veggie's I grow that I plan to collect seeds from Blue. I wouldn't want cross pollinated seeds. I sure hope these Giants toms are good, I have my hopes set high of getting a large but very tasty tomato.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blue, can you tell me anything about Golden Marconi peppers? I got a pkg in a trade and planted them but don't know anything about them. Do you know if this is a sweet pepper, or hot??? So far they're growing great for me.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
GLoria I have grown the Giant Belgium tomatoes before and they do well and are large tomatoes.

Dor

My Italian roaster seedlings are some that I lost to the rain yesterday. I don't have any more seeds to start any more of those. This was my first time growing them. Oh well. I don't know what I was thinking about to not bring them in the house.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't grow the early girls any more. They didn't seem to mature any earlier than the other tomatoes and their skin was tougher.

Blueaussi

Yikes, that's awful, Dor. I would be so bummed. A few years back the neighbor child was looking after the dogs and cats while I was out of town, and she was supposed to be looking after the plants, too. One of her perks for working for me is that she gets to use my computer, she doesn't have one at home, and sadly My Space was far more interesting then some silly plants. I lost almost half my peppers, a whole flat of petunias, and one row of tomatoes that were already in the ground. We had to set some rules about computer use after that.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy I don't like the Early Girl tomatoes either. Not much flavor smaller in size and as you said the skin is tougher.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the links and info Blue. I can't wait to try these new to me.. peppers.

Jade

I have misplaced my seeds in the "move" along with my rooting hormone and our wedding pictures, YIKES!! I have to try to find an heirloom tomato plant or two and hopefully a lemon boy. I have 4 wall-o-waters left, 3 for the tomatoes and one for an eggplant. Looks like we are headed into a rainy spell, so it will be a good time for garden center shopping.

Dor

My three year old granddaughter and I planted some hot banana peppers, zuchinni squash, and lemon cucumber today in their flower beds in the backyard. I will plant the same thing at my house tomorrow in some large containers.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
My daughter Fiona is supposed to be watering my plants while I am away. She is pretty reliable.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com