Plastic gallon jug for bird house?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

myfedora

If I use a gallon tea jug for a birdhouse would it get too hot for them? I was going to paint the outside with Krylon paint for plastic. Any tips or ideas would be great because I have a crap load of these! Theresa :rolleyes:

FishinBC

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Great idea. Poke a few holes in the bottom to vent and drain any water that might get in. Keep the entrance hole to about an inch or and inch and a half. That will help keep out the starlings. Think I need to do a few! Thanks for the idea.

Kya D

What a cool idea. I, like you wonder about the heat. I would be sure to paint it a light color and hang your birdhouse in a tree where it will be in the shade. FishinBC has some great suggestions with drain holes.

Spider_Lily

I made bird house's out of my son's old deflated basketball's years ago.Cut a hole and drain holes paint and hang.I hung them in a shady spot they last forever.Didn't seem to hot for them

R

RiverRock

This is a great idea! I am gonna have my mom save me some milk jugs:) Would love to see pics Karen!

RR

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com