Plumeria

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Redfishergurl

Does anyone know where I can get plumeria seeds? Has anyone had success with them? Also, I'm interested in how I may propagate cuttings from a plumeria tree....any ideas? Thanks!

Wombat

Hi Rfg I have a few in my yard and they were all grown from cuttings. It's quite easy to propagate them and they usually flower within a couple of years. Growing them from seed, however is a long slow process, they can take up to 5 years to flower. One important thing to remember is that a seed may not reproduce the parents plant flower colour. If you have the patience though, it's a great way of getting different colour blooms. I have this link for you to look at, as it will answer all your questions about them.:) This one was grown from seed and the parent plant was a deep burgundy.

http://www.theplumeriasociety.org/

Attachments

• red frang.jpg
    red frang.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 317

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fisher,
I find the cuttings for sale at local festivals and art shows all the time. The last ones I had froze but if you don't fins any by May 19 let me know. We will be having a blueberry festival and there maybe some there. Canes are 3 for $10 , colors vary but if you pay postage and cost I will be happy to pick some up for you. Just let me know.;)

Redfishergurl

@Wombat - Thanks for the link! Your plumeria is beautiful! @Crabbergirl - Thanks for the offer! We have tons of farmers markets and stuff like that so I'm definitely gonna take a look around, never consider that option. I'll let you know what I find.

Quite a few of my neighbors have plumerias in their yards but I don't really know them to ask for cuttings lol. That would be odd to knock on their front door, Hi I've lived next to you for twenty years and I never bothered to introduce myself but can I cut some of your trees? Lol

Wombat

Hi Rfg, ty for the kind comment about my plumeria! As to your quandary perhaps it's a great way to finally meet them. Next time you see them in their yard or whatever, just get chatting to them about their garden and how much you like the colour of their plumie etc. You'll know within 5 minutes whether they're keen gardeners or not and if they are, you may even get some help or advice etc. who knows? If you do manage to get a cutting or two, maybe take them some freshly baked muffins or whatever as a thankyou. I realise it's a little daunting for you but at least it's an excuse to finally introduce yourself....just a thought:)

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Wombat - Thanks for the link! Your plumeria is beautiful! @Crabbergirl - Thanks for the offer! We have tons of farmers markets and stuff like that so I'm definitely gonna take a look around, never consider that option. I'll let you know what I find.

Quite a few of my neighbors have plumerias in their yards but I don't really know them to ask for cuttings lol. That would be odd to knock on their front door, Hi I've lived next to you for twenty years and I never bothered to introduce myself but can I cut some of your trees? Lol

LOL! Now I am not advocating theft but the best cuttings are always "snagged" ;)

Let me know if you want me to check out the festival for you.

Redfishergurl

@Wombat - Actually not a bad idea.... My next door neighbors have a fenced in yard and I just saw some Glades Morning Glory growing through the bottom.... I'm pretty sure they have a full on Florida native garden back there and I should pick their brain lol

Wombat

Hey glad you liked the idea. It's a pretty simple one but has worked for me in the past. Go for it kiddo, lol then let us know how you got on!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com