Possible nutrient deficiency?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

DeXodus

Dear gardeners,

I am growing couple of black locust seedlings and one of them started to show an interesting signs. On of the leaves started to make a yellow spots on it and after more carefull inspection it seems that the whole area between veins is getting a bit yellow. From what I have read it may be nitrogen deficiency (although I started fertilizing with nitrogen rich fertilizer). Could it be something else? The pH is something around 6.7-7 (could be lower I guess).
Here is the picture:
20160602_230344.jpg

Hmm? Seen this happen a few times over the years on various species.....
The yellowing of the leaves may be related to your watering routine, and possibly low light conditions.
Do yo let the soil surface dry before you water? Too frequent watering maybe the culprit.
How much sunlight does the plant get daily? Not enough can cause yellowing.

I let it dry before watering again. I already had this problem in the previous tries so now I tend to not overwater. The amounts of light are not huge as I have north facing windows only and I am growing these tries indoor, but I provide some additional light with 11W light for about 14-16 hours. I have them planted in vermiculite and coconut choir mixture (that was somewhat enriched with fertilizer). I applied last week the first "batch" of fertilization and this happened. I first thought I overdid with fertilization, but it looked at toxicity symptoms and they don't match. some of the leaves are nice and green though. Now today new set of leaves appeared and they are turning out yellowish as well although the middle leaves seem fine as you can see.
Picture of current state:
plant.jpg
1. First true composite leaf.
2. 2nd leaf.
3. 3rd leaf.
4. 4th leaf.

Seems like the older leaves are developing the yellowing as the mature in rotation!
You can expect leaf drop once the leaves turns all yellow.
Hold off fertilizing them.
Light is definitly an issue.
Do you have an outdoor spot in bright shade?
If so, they need to harden off for a week (you should see improvement in a few days), then you can move them to more sun....early morning would be best. Keep the soil moist, and check on them to make sure the soil doesn't dry out completely....

The thing is that I do not have a spot of full sunlight, as I live in a flat with all 2 windows facing north:/ I will try to figure how to increase some light. Maybe better artificial light source. My room is, I would say, in a bright shade as one wall of the flat is all a window and plants stand 10-20cm from it + 11W luminescent light

It is not yellowing in the order in maturation though. The first true leave is nice and green, second one is getting yellow, 3rd is nice and green and the new one (4th) came out yellow from the start.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back