Post your rose finds here!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

SmellyMelly, How many stems on your Tropicana?
I bought the climber thought it would be such an extra delight to see More blooms then my little fella,but..He just grew like madd on 3 thick stems, he has about 6 stems, he bloomed a few times on the smaller 3.
If you keep cutting him down does he still bloom on those cut stems?
I wish he could stay but..Not with 8foot stems that are nearly unbendable.
My Climbing Orchid Masterpiece was a real dud I did get to bend him.
Not one bloom from (one of them) him.The other didn't bloom a Cl Orchid M!
very pretty bit a once or twice..I only remember once but thinking it was 2.
So climbers need to find a place to root and stem grow *LOL
I which the other I had to cut him down.He had little nubs but no blooms, I understand it can take yearsssssssss to get a good performance.
He will be moved this year soon.All my Climbers can be happy climbing for years while I enjoy my Hybrid Tea Blooms.

Packed busy.
As far as your Gad bulbs.
I know someone that has them and has never dug them out to bring in.
We didn't even know they were "TENDER" *lol
Every year she gets blooms, doesn't do much for them.
She has them on the north side facing east.Her porch is to the south and driveway to the north I guess they are sheltered well.I have my Voo Doo Lilies that come back every year at the same location at my house.I left some in the ground and surprised every year..well not really, I know they may come up after all these years (only 4) but ...I'm still happy.
Have you any pic of your Tropicana?

Kale

This is a rose I have had about 3 years. I bought it on clearance at the Houston Garden Center. The tag said Peach knock out I thought. It has bloomed peach and today is the second time it has bloomed red. The second pic is of the peach blooms it gets.

Attachments

• tn_Spring blooms 09 002.JPG
    tn_Spring blooms 09 002.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 345
  • tn_Fall garden 005.JPG
    tn_Fall garden 005.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 352
Dor, sounds like this was a grafted rose. The following is from a grower I have bought from. Sounds like what has happened to your lovely peach rose. :(

Although they start out smaller, own root roses have several advantages over grafted roses. (A bareroot rose is a rose that you want grafted onto a rose rootstock, harvested at a later date, and sold while dormant without soil. Bareroots also have a limited transplant time frame.)

Own roots are just that, roses that are propagated from the parent plant without any grafting. With own roots, there is no competition from unwanted under stock shooting up suckers. You will know that every cane that shoots up from the ground is the rose you wanted, not rootstock that has to be cut back (plus rootstock competes for nutrients, water, and sun). You will also have roses from the ground up, not naked knees, meaning no roses for the first 18” that you get from grafted roses. In colder climates, own root roses have the best prospect of returning from a bad winter. Bareroots can freeze or become damaged and what returns is the rootstock, usually a red bloom with about 6-8 petals.

Dor that is incredible*lol
Nice blooms from both:)

Interesting rose you have, my daughters first " Pink Peace" was never a Pink Peace .
I bought one just to see,no. not a pink peace but her rose is light pink to a beautiful apricot peachy orange.Beautiful every bloom indeed. Cuttings do not take *lol
It always had about 25-40 petals her rose fascinates us. She has Shreveport this year she was suppose to stop me instead she added one*lol
Is there a way of separating the stems in a cutting and rotting ?
Is the (red) stem coming from below?
What are you going to do about it Dor?

Dizz, What is meant by " Bareroots also have a limited transplant time frame"?
I do not understand,can you add to that statement:)

BTW still working on my list and plans between everything else I need to get completed.

Kale:)

Kale, that part is about their shipping. :rolleyes:

Plants will be partially barerooted for shipping. Some of the soil will be rinsed off the roots, the rootball will be wrapped in damp paper and enclosed in plastic.
Plants are in active growth and can be planted April through November with proper care. This is not the same thing as a bare root dormant rose, which should be planted well before hot weather arrives. Northern gardeners are advised to plant earlier in the season so their plants can put on some size before winter.

Kale or anyone
I got a new rose this afternoon. It is so pretty but I can't find out anything about it. I think it is an antique rose. It is marked The Reeve. Can't seem to find it anywhere. I will call the breeder on Mon if I can't figure anything out.
I was wondering how big it will get. I know it isn't a hybid tea but I don't know if it is a grandifloral or what. Here are some pictures to help you

Attachments

• P4100016.JPG
    P4100016.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 352
  • P4100015.JPG
    P4100015.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 352
Dizz,
In the south roses are mailed differently,they aren't in (cold) dormancy. That is a tricky one. What happens to the blooms that are occurring and the top footage?
Oh my,how do they mail them,or are speaking of buying local.Or are they shipped that way? What size boxes*LOL
Can't imagine trying to ship my climbing Tropicana*LOL please educate me, this is ever so interesting.I only buy local and usually buy winter sleeping roses.How does one receive an active rose in the mail*LOL Any plant for that matter.
I do understand that planting time is different,I am just so curious of the above situations...
I find this :eek::eek::confused::rolleyes::)

Kale or anyone
I got a new rose this afternoon. It is so pretty but I can't find out anything about it. I think it is an antique rose. It is marked The Reeve. Can't seem to find it anywhere. I will call the breeder on Mon if I can't figure anything out.
I was wondering how big it will get. I know it isn't a hybid tea but I don't know if it is a grandifloral or what. Here are some pictures to help you
Congratulations on your new arrival!

Maybe this will assist.
http://www.californiagardens.com/Plant_Pages/Roses/the_reeve.htm

http://www.carrollgardens.com/roses/english-roses.asp

http://www.backyardgardener.com/rose/roses/TheReeve.html

above (BYGardeners) are thoughts,opinions of course not based on fact in everyone's soil and care conditions. Subject to different results.

thanks Kale I knew you would know where to look. It is one sweet rose so I got it planted this afternoon. I know I will love it.

this is the rose that I planted the reeve by. It is braithwaite

Attachments

• P4100014.JPG
    P4100014.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 356
  • P4100013.JPG
    P4100013.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 347
Thanks Kale and Gardenbear. I knew there was some Austin in it. The lady at the herb shop said no but it was plain to see. I know I will love this one. my neighbor was happy to see me plant it. I have it on the yard near her house. she says she likes to come over and smell the roses I only buy one rose a year that I pay that kind of money for. Then I put it out front for Beth and I to enjoy. It smells so heavenly.

I got a rose yesterday for $3.00 I only bought one as I've got to find some place to put it and put some wire around it as the deer love them.Wanted to get some climbing ones too but have no place for them to climb on.
I got Marchesa Bocella, it says it's a hybrid perpetual rose with very fragrant flowers witrh soft pink blooms.
Found this link about it
http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/rose-2007.html

I bought 4 more roses today at Sam's Club. I got 2 Climbing Blaze and 2 Pristine. I will post pictures later.

Look at this it is Dolly Pardon it smell's so good.Has a lemom smell.

Attachments

• Mom's flowers 012.JPG
    Mom's flowers 012.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 332
It didn't upload all of themDolly Pardon

Attachments

• Mom's flowers 001.JPG
    Mom's flowers 001.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 338
  • Mom's flowers 002.JPG
    Mom's flowers 002.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 346
I got a rose yesterday for $3.00 I only bought one as I've got to find some place to put it and put some wire around it as the deer love them.Wanted to get some climbing ones too but have no place for them to climb on.
I got Marchesa Bocella, it says it's a hybrid perpetual rose with very fragrant flowers with soft pink blooms.
Found this link about it
http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/rose-2007.html

You bought a hybrid perpetual rose from a nursery! :eek::eek::confused::D
3.00! Bare root? Unbelievable.
Only bought one:( I don't think climbers are for you, but another hybrid perpetual rose:D:D:D It should put on a show like none other! Do you know it's parentage?
That is so nice,you will enjoy her.
Congratulations!

Kale

It didn't upload all of them Dolly Pardon

My heart skipped several beats the first time I saw her and every time after.. Your Dolly....
She is more then downright gorgeous.
I may have to admit that she is more breathe taking then my Tropicana was last year.I bought 2 this year.the first one was a puny fella then I saw the 2nd one and had to have him,you now for company,Tropicanas need competition it forces them to bloom bigger sweeter and better*LOL

Oh by my.............your Dolly....She is absolutely stunning!
Nothing like any book I have laid eyes in!!!!!!!!!!!!
Simple wonderful...:D:D:D
Congratulations on your wonderful care and love for her she sure does perform!:D:D;)
Thank you MOM!

You bought a hybrid perpetual rose from a nursery! :eek::eek::confused::D
3.00! Bare root? Unbelievable.
Only bought one:( I don't think climbers are for you, but another hybrid perpetual rose:D:D:D It should put on a show like none other! Do you know it's parentage?
That is so nice,you will enjoy her.
Congratulations!

Kale
not at a nursery
i got it at big lots

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back