Pot luck

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya D

I would love recipes for pot luck dishes.:) Easy to make and take.
I think people call them by other names. But we have at least 2 potlucks :eek:every month and I get so tired of taking the same things.:(
Potlucks are everyone goes to a party and each take a dish to share.
HELP PLEASE

Jules

THis is the dish I made for our potluck dinner when we were in Myrtle Beach ... I am not a fan of curry, but this is pretty mild tasting...also done in a slow cooker, so easy to transport!

CURRY CHICKEN

5 KG CHICKEN
1 ONION CHOPPED
1 BUNCH GREEN ONIONS CHOPPED
2 TEASPOONS CURRY
¼ TEASPOON CAYENNE PEPPER
500 ML BLEND
6 CLOVES GARLIC (CRUSHED)
PARSLEY
1 BLOCK VELVETTA CHEESE (500 GRAMS)

Cook chicken, cut and place in crock pot.

Cheese Sauce
Lightly sauté onions, garlic
Melt cheese and add blend, onion mixture, curry and cayenne pepper
Top chicken with cheese sauce and cook on medium high for 3 to 4 hours

Jules

Here's another I have made for a group....it is a nice dish to have with other dishes.....and does not taste like the normal beans! WIth the liquid smoke it has a flavour all it's own....and my guests loved it!

BEST BEANS

1 POUND BACON
1 POUND HAMBURGER
2 CANS BEANS
1 CAN KIDNEY BEANS
½ CUP BROWN SUGAR
1 CUP KETCHUP
2 TABLESPOONS WHITE VINEGAR
1 TABLESPOONS COLGEN LIQUID SMOKE
SALT & PEPPER

Cook bacon until crisp
Brown hamburger and drain.
Put bacon, beef and all remaining ingredients into crock pot.
Let cook, covered, on high setting for 2 – 3 hours, stirring occasionally

Or – Bake in oven 250 – 350F in no crock available

Jade

This one is always a hit, I fry up fresh corn tortillas for the chips, just make sure your oil is very hot, and give them a hit of salt when they are still hot.

Double Chili Cheese DipSubmitted by: KimThis is an easy appetizer that you can make at the last minute. I never have any leftovers. Serve with tortilla chips.Servings: 12 Ingredients:1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened1 (15 ounce) can chili without beans4 green onions, thinly sliced1/4 cup diced green chiles, drained1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese Directions:1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch pie plate.2. Spread cream cheese into the prepared pie plate. Top the cream cheese with chili, onions, chilies, and cheese.3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hamburger Casserole

Large casserole baking dish spray with cooking spray then layer ingredients.

Place one or more layers of peeled sliced baking potatoes.
Place a large of thin sliced onion
Put one or two cans of cream of mushroom soup or cream of potato soup.
Put a thin layer of raw lean hamburger meat on top.
Salt and pepper lightly on top of hamburger

Cover with aluminum foil bake in 400 degree oven. Few minutes before hamburger done take aluminum foil off and brown slightly. Cooking time about 30 minutes (depending on how thick the potato slices are)

This is great heated up if any left overs.

several

richnkim

I take these alot.

Chinese Chicken Salad

1 package coleslaw mix (no dressing)
2 or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
2 Tblsp. toasted sesame seeds
1 package Top Ramen noodles, uncooked, chicken flavored

Crush the Ramen noodles, reserving the season packet for the dressing. Combine all of the ingredients together. Mix Dressing and pour over salad about 20 minutes before serving.

Dressing

1/4 cup vinegar
2 Tblsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. balck pepper
1 tsp. seasoned salt
2 tsp. soy sauce
Seasoning packet from noodles
1/2 cup canola oil

Mix together and shake just before pouring on salad.

Artichoke Salad

1 small can tomato sauce
water in sauce to make it 2 cups
2 beef boullion cubes
2 cups instant rice
1 cup sliced olives
1 jar of marinated artichoke hearts or crowns, chopped, reserve liquid for dressing
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion, red or green
1/3 cup chopped bell pepper
1/4 to 1/3 cup mayonnaise

In a sauce pan combine the 2 cups tomato sauce water mixture with boullion cubes. Bring to a boil, Add rice, turn off heat, and cover. Let stand until all of the liquid is absorbed. Let rice cool completely. Combine the rice, olives, artichoke, celery, onion, and bell pepper. Combine the liquid from the artichoke with mayonnaise for dressing. Stir into salad to combine. Chill.

Kya D

My Hubby makes that dip I guess I just never thought to take it to a pot luck Thanks for the reminder

richnkim

Here is one that my mom always used to take.

Viva La Chicken

5 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup green chili sauce
1 cup milk
1 conion, chopped
12 corn totillas
2 cups shredded cheddar or montery jack cheese

Cut tortillas into 1-inch strips. Mix soups, chili sauce, milk, and onions together. Spray a deeop baking dish with cooking spray. Place half of the tortilla strips in the bottom. Layer half of the chicken on top, then hslf of the sauce. Repeat. Top with cheese. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight. Bake for 1 hour or until bubbly in a 350 degree oven. Remove cover and let cheese brown a little. Good left over too!

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Easy Chicken and Dumplings

Cook chicken debone set aside. Take flour tortillas cut in 1 inch by 4 inch strips. Drop tortillas into boiling chicken broth. Let cook for a few minutes. Add boneless chicken, salt and pepper to taste and it's ready to eat. If you like a thick broth thicken broth with some flour and water pour in hot broth and let thicken.

Jules

Here's another if you are wanting a salad to take....

BROCOLI SALAD

2 bunches broccoli
2 cups golden raisins
10 strips cooked bacon
1 whole red onion
1 cup sunflower seeds

Dressing

3 Tablespoons sugar
1 cup mayo
1 Tablespoon vinegar

Add dressing to salad – leave in fridge for one hour

Note – for half a batch - half the raisins/onion/sunflowers

Bernie

My sister takes this desert to pot lucks and to her kids ball games.

CREAM PUFF CAKE

Cream Puff Crust:
1 C Water 1 C Flour
1/2 C Margarine 4 Eggs
In sauce pan bring water and margarine to a boil. Add flour all at once, stir until mixture pulls away from sides of pan. Cool 10 to 15 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Spoon into a 9 X 13 inch greased pan and level. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Cool.

Topping:
8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
2-1/2 C milk
2 4 oz Boxes Instant Pudding (flavor of your choice but most people like the Chocolate best)
8 oz Cool Whip
Chocolate syrup or 1-1/4 C Chocolate Chips, melted in microwave
Actually I find the Cool Whip a bit to sweet so mix 4 oz. each of Cool Whip and Cream Cheese instead.
While crust cools, make topping by mixing cream cheese, milk and pudding mix in a bowl. Chill about 15 minutes. Pour over cooled crust. Top with cool whip. Optional: Dribble with chocolate syrup and refrigerate. Makes 16 to 20 servings
Not in Sis's recipe but I love nuts so I sprinkle bit's of walnuts or almonds or browned coconut on top.

Kya D

My goodness Bernie, that one sounds way to good, and I could make it the night before since I have to be to work by 6 AM

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had a potluck a couple of weeks ago at the church that David and Fiona go to. I took a blueberry cobbler. It was the first time I had attended a pot luck at this church and I wasn't sure what I should take. Now that I have an idea of what the others take, I will take something different next time. Now I can almost taste the recipes above and I know they will be good. And normally a church pot luck is a place where cooks will strut their stuff and put out some outstanding food. I tried some meat loaf and a scalloped potato dish though that I think the cooks forgot to put any seasoning in them. They reminded me much of of navy chow. I call it ATSL food (able to sustain life). Of course, I would never say anything about it as I am sure I would hurt someone's feelings. There probably were some tasty dishes there, but at least on this particular day, I missed them.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com