Prickly Pear Cactus

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Spider_Lily

I have a question is the prickly pear cactus the same thing as the Nopalea cactus?I see alot of ads on the Nopalea juice helps reduce inflammation.If it's the same thing as the prickly I have a load of red seed pods soon to be ripe.And how would you collect the juice.Thinking about ordering juice for my sister with RA.Just to see if it might help her...

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
When harvesting the bud , use leather gloves.. Use a paring knife to remove the tiny hair like thorns from the fruits. You can peel them but we usually just eat them. I would think you would need a lot of the fruit to get enough juice to mess with. I like just eating the fruit. It is really juicy. If I were going to harvet seeds, I would cut open a fruit , scape out the pulp and put it in a strainer. Then run cold water over them to remove the pulp.

Spider_Lily

Thanks I have no need for the seed they grow all over her along the fence.I have never ate any though.The road grader broke some off pushed it away and t grew where left...

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The prickly pear that is blooming now in the garden has small fruit. They are around 3" long by 1 1/2"s wide! It has usually less then 12 large seeds! if I leave the fruit until the second year the flesh is sweet! The seeds of most Opuntias take 2 or more years to germinate if you sow them right from the fruit, they will take anywhere from 1 to 2, or more years to germinate!
Storing the seeds dry for a year, or more, will get 100% germination within 6 days!
Since they can be saved indefinitly it is best to store them dry for an extended period of more then a year
Little trivia for you!

Maggie

Cheri's Desert Harvest has recipes for the prickly pear cactus. They grow and harvest their own and you can buy their jams, jellies, syrup, honey and other items. I think it's a very interesting site.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com