Propagating a Redbud

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Yard_Bird

Hiya,
I was wondering if anyone had experience propagating from cuttings of an Eastern Redbud? I'd really like to give it a try but I'm not sure what time of year I would do it, or even if it would work?

I've seen several YouTube videos on hardwood cuttings but nothing specifically related to the Eastern Redbud. I don't mind some trial and error but thought I'd see if anyone here had any ideas first.

Thanks!

I have a book down in the basement that may contain an answer. I'll check on it this evening.

I think you are in luck. The book I have is called "Plants-a-Plenty" by Catherine Osgood Foster. She suggests two propagation methods; softwood cuttings in early summer or layering. We are sort of in the tail end of early summer so now is the time. If the limbs are flexible enough, you could try ground layering, but air layering would work also.

Awesome thank you for looking that up. I'll b getting it all together this weekend. Have to read up on layering.

I did that too. I had read about layering in the past but have never tried it. While I was reading, I went ahead and read about it again.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back