Puter problems again!!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our new PC crashed last evening while Jackie spent some time on Facebook!
It had to be that nasty virus that someone let loose to cause havoc for Facebook members!
It didn't matter what I did, I couldn't even get it into safe mode to do a scan! It has to go in to where we bought it to have them fix the problem!
I dug out the old fossil and dusted it off and now I'm on a small screen...I miss the widescreen, but it will have to do for now!

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ron you do have a lot of trouble with computers. Hope your puter will be on the mend soon.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Dale!
Yup! We do have a problem! Jackie loves Facebook, as well as a few other forum sites, and each of them carry viruses! This particular one damages the operating system so you can't do anything in order to fix/repair the damage done! It doesn't seem to matter which antivirus program we use! All of them have a weakness that the virus creators take advantage of!

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tell you ron you need a mac. the virus problems are not as bad. I love mine it is stable I haven't rebooted for a couple of months now. last time was to install a new program. i tell you mac is the way.

Jade

I have been having problems with this new HP too, I am wondering if it is the facebook, my problems began about the time I signed up. McAfee doesn't show them as a problem, but it seems that I must restart numerous times daily, which has never happened before.
Dang, I kinda was liking Facebook.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are alot of viruses, malwares, spywares floating around out there as well as static once that attack when you pass by while surfing! Everytime I click a link I wonder whether it is a legit link, or a fake.
One thing I never do is download anything until I check it out!
One inocent click and you think it is the end of the world for the PC!
I found that I need at least 2 antivirus programs as well as an antispyware program because no one program can cover all the crap that's out there!
Even pop-up blockers can only do so much too!

Lyn
We thought about a Mac but they are really out of our price range!

I havent had trouble with facebook yet but my sister did and she was only using the green patch and blue cove. We just bought a new computer because we were running out of memory on the old one. Hopefully we can keep this from happening again.

I don't use facebook but did have a problem with ebay every time I would go to ebay my computer would crash, I installed firefox and the installed error fix and now I don't crash on ebay. Ron is right about all the stuff you pick up when surfing the web I use windows live one care to check for viruses, malwares, spywares so far I've been staying up and no crashes for a while. I think lots of the problem is with vista and hp, would love a mac but at this time the cost is still to high for me

Ron sorry to hear of you computer problems, didn't you just buy that one? Everything I have read says that you should never install and use more then 1 antivirus program at a time. Is that wrong info.?

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw a blurb from Microsoft about having more than one Anti-virus program or maybe it was malware program. I don't remember now. But I have used three malware programs and each one will find things the others have missed.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Ron,

I found that I need at least 2 antivirus programs as well as an antispyware program because no one program can cover all the crap that's out there!
Talk to the place you bought from about that, and specifically ask him about the AV programs.

It is my understanding that running two anti-virus programs is not a good thing. They can conflict with one another. The bosses' wife at work brought here computer in to have me fix it. The thing ran slower than molasses in January. She thought she had a virus. She actually had an anti-virus. :) Two of them, that were both trying to to do the same thing, fighting about it, and using up all the system resources. What a mess!

So my reccomendation is to pick one that you trust, whichever that may be, and only use one. As I said, you should probably verify that with your computer tech.

Also, try using a browser that's not Interent Explorer, such as Firefox or Safari. They tend to have less security risks, and since they're less popular less virii are written that exploit them.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Bob!
I do the second opinion rule, I have one antivirus (Avira) which I run once a week!
Once every two weeks I use the microsoft antivirus scanner (Live One Care ~the free version) to see if Avira missed anything! It usually does! It is the same with all the other antivirus programs, they just do not get everything, so the second opinion is a good way to go!

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Our new PC crashed last evening while Jackie spent some time on Facebook!
It had to be that nasty virus that someone let loose to cause havoc for Facebook members!
It didn't matter what I did, I couldn't even get it into safe mode to do a scan! It has to go in to where we bought it to have them fix the problem!
I dug out the old fossil and dusted it off and now I'm on a small screen...I miss the widescreen, but it will have to do for now!
WOW....You know I signed up on facebook a week maybe two weeks ago...to see what all the talk was about and maybe find a few old high school friends...and I began to get notices from my virus protection that trojam's were trying to do something...my protection took care of it.....a few other things came up as warnings every tiome I try to go to FB...I have not been or tried to go there in a week now...after I ran the scan and it all got cleaned up...have ha dno other troubles...don't think I need to find my friends that badly...I was also told that running two anti-virus was not a good idea...I have Trend Micro Internet Secrity....very good I find...plus for the price on one you can cover up to three computers..

Last edited:

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Bob!
I do the second opinion rule, I have one antivirus (Avira) which I run once a week!
Once every two weeks I use the microsoft antivirus scanner (Live One Care ~the free version) to see if Avira missed anything! It usually does! It is the same with all the other antivirus programs, they just do not get everything, so the second opinion is a good way to go!
Then you need to find a different Anti-virus. Ideally, your virus protection will intercept stuff as it happens and block it then. Your daily and weekly scans shouldn't find anything once you've done an initial scan and removed any lingering problems.

Also note that some anti-virus programs will report "problems" where none actually exist. Cookies for example, will show up under some virus or spyware programs.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bob, you are right about two programs will sometimes conflict. I had Norton on my computer and bought another program because it had a firewall. That one was Trend Micro, I think. Anyway, I started loading it on the computer and my computer crashed. Even though I reformatted the hard drive, I could never get my OS to reload properly. I wound up cannibalizing the computer and scrapped what I couln't use. I do have a couple of Malware programs though and I can get along okay with them.

woodstock

Ive been freezing up on my dell laptop lately, but I dont go into facebook or those other places.....dont know what it is.....frustrating for sure.....hope you get yours fixed Ron

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ron the guys around here have put linux on our pc. and of course we use firefox. might try it. It seemed to help our pc.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
My daughter Chrissie is a great advocate of "Linux". No one seems to be interested in attacking it with viruses.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com