Rain rain go away...

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

IronKnees

WOW! In central Indiana here, we have a little too much of a good thing.. Planting of corn and beans is way behind for the farmers, and I need to be able to get my potatos and a couple other things in the ground... :confused:
Anybody else having this problem in your area?

plantlover

Nope...not here in Central Texas. As a matter of fact, we've got the opposite problem. You may be saying "rain rain, go away," but I am saying "come and visit me today." We are in an extreme drought, and it hasn't let up since 2007. During the spring of 2006, we had too much rain, and that was a blessing because the two previous years had been drought. But after an abundance of rain, we went into another drought. Send me your rain, please....Send it to this entire part of Texas.

Blueaussi

They keep saying we're in a moderate drought here in the midlands of South Carolina, but the low places in my yard are soggy, and I have to be careful where I sit in the yard to brush the dogs or else I get a damp bottom!

As I type this, I just returned from the USC Farmer's Market amid a downpour, too.

richnkim

Nope...not here in Central Texas. As a matter of fact, we've got the opposite problem. You may be saying "rain rain, go away," but I am saying "come and visit me today." We are in an extreme drought, and it hasn't let up since 2007. During the spring of 2006, we had too much rain, and that was a blessing because the two previous years had been drought. But after an abundance of rain, we went into another drought. Send me your rain, please....Send it to this entire part of Texas.

We need it too. The weather here today is making things worse. It is windy with no rain. We have such a terrible drought that the west side farmers are not planting some of their land. Today there is a march on the west side of the valley because they are protesting. They are not getting the water they need. Water is a very precious comodity here.

R

RiverRock

We are a little behind on the rain here it seems, but we have ad enough to keep everying going good without too much also.
I pray things clear up for you soon Ironknees, HUGS

RR

Bernie

Dave we aren't getting to much rain but yesterday it hailed like crazy for a while and this morning it snowed for a while. It is far colder then it usually is this time of year. We are at least three to four weeks behind schedule here so I’m not planting things I would usually already have in the ground.

We never ever get rain here in the summer months. Actually we get very little snow fall or rain most years. We all depend on the snow pack in the Cascades that surround us. In Jan. they were saying we hadn't had enough snow but it's been snowing like mad up there since then and actually still is so I am hoping the snow pack will be enough for all our farmers and we don’t get a sudden heat spell which causes flooding.
We have a very odd way of distributing water here. Personally I think it isn't fair but it is as it is. My area is first on the list to get irrigation water and we are never limited drought or not. Sadly A LOT of people just let it run down the streets. :mad: The old time farmers are next on the list and get all the water they need and the newer farmers get what’s left IF there is anything left. During drought years the newer farmers get so little water they just sell their water rights to their neighbors and let their land go fallow until the following year when they can get enough for their crops. That is okay for annual crops but things like apple, cherry, other orchards and vineyards can't do without water for a season.

And so I am praying that everyone gets what they need but not more then they need. Also for the people who are currently in harms way across the country.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
We didn't get as much rain as we were suppose to last night and today. Thank goodness!!! A big storm is on it's way right now. Maybe we won't get too much rain.

Spider_Lily

We have been blessed with rain this Spring we had 6 more inches.Monday everything is soaked squishes when you walk out in the yard.Maybe it will dry out some today.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just survived a rash of bad storms with minimul damage. But there is now at least an inch of water standing in hte garden and the sun is out and about 80* so I hope I don't end up like last spring with veggie soup in the yard.

Dave ,How are your knees in weather like this? I feel like the human barometer I can tell when a storm is brewing before the weatherman. Feeling better today though!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com