Raised Beds

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dor

I planted Blue Lake bush but have Kentucky Wonder but need more room for them.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
For a space limitation, you would be able to get more plants in using pole beans, Miss Dorothy. How many bush plants do you do? I know I go way overboard with my bean planting though. I will do three 42' rows and that is enough for me and all my friends. I was thinking about how you might do some poles though and it may be to hard for you to get poles up and keep them in place when they get heavy with beans.

Dor

RandT I planted two five foot rows in one bed with my cabbage and I did the same in a bed with my cucumbers. I have seen pictures of some teepee's in raised bed's with the pole beans growing up them. Last year I only had half that much and they didn't do well.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would like my beans to have a higher place to grow on, because when they reach the top, they start looking for more height. They will often span the 3' between rows and attach to the adjacent row. But if they did go higher, I would probably have to use something to stand on. By the time I put those 8' posts into the ground, they are still about 6-1/2' high. But the yield on the pole beans is higher than the bush beans too. Green beans are a large item in Oregon agriculture and the farmers have all gone to bush beans and mechanical pickers now.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nanci, will you post a pic of your bean trellis for us to see please?
I planted bush beans but would love to plant some pole beans and build or have some trellis' built for my roses.

Hey Dor,
Have been gone for a few days and just saw this. I'll post the pic on Monday ;)

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also use sections of old kennels and gates from fences as trellis for climbing plants. I have my tomatoes planted against a movable fence section from an old kennel. It works really well. Looks funny in winter when it is all bare to see all these sections of fence and gates just standing out in the yard. LOL!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dor,
Here is the bean trellis. It is a bit over built , but Tim used materials on hand left over from a job. It is not cemented in the ground and can be moved later. I was not happy that the post are PT lumber but I guess it's ok. I am just happy he was doing something with his time :D

Attachments

• bean2.jpg
    bean2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 407
  • Bean1.jpg
    Bean1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 397

Dor

They look great CG. My son is good at rounding up used lumber so I that he can build some trellis' for me. Those look like they can fit the bill for what I need.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com