Raised Beds

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I could just see my 11 & 8 year old grandsons come over to gram's house and seeing gram's old bras in the garden. LOL,LOL,LOL

not sure where i read about using the bras
it might have been kale that mentioned it yrs ago

One year my dad grew some spaghetti squash, and let one just grow and grow. That thing grew to be 3 ft. long he put it in a fishing net to hold it.

Today should be fun. We are going to my fav. garden center to order some soil to fill up the raised bed that we are making this weekend. Hubby got cedar to make the frame with. He is antsy to get the tomatoes in the ground. Apparently this garden center makes a mix of 2/3 topsoil and 1/3 compost which should be a lot better than the clay and sandstone subsoil that we have in the back yard.
The yard is really coming to life, I was out checking it out yesterday. My fragrant viburnum standard is full of buds, the knockout roses are growing to beat the band, my stella de oro daylilies are even starting to bud. The blueberry bushes are soon ready to bloom too and my beauty of moscow lilac.
Don't you just love spring?

Oh what fun, Jade! Getting a new bed ready is so exciting. I am going to have to have another one for my new tomatoes. Isn't spring fun!!!!

I have to use extreme self control at the garden center. I always feel so good there. I ended up with a dwarf false cypress that only gets 12 feet tall. The Nootka that I wanted gets 40 feet tall, our yard is just not big enough for that anymore. We only spent an hour there so I didn't get to look at too much. We have 5 yards of topsoil/compost mix coming on Tuesday. Hopefully that will be enough to fill our raised bed and do some repair work in the back yard. I took some leaves in from my azaleas that I thought had spider mite, but it is lace bugs.
We also got two rosemary plants and a rhubarb root. I could have stayed all afternoon, but I try not to put hubby thru that.

My girlfriend and her husband came over thursday to lend me their truck to transport some furniture I bought and some laminate flooring. While they were here he built my raised beds for me. They only took him about 30 minutes. I now have all my beds done.

My yardman was here earlier but he came after 12noon and the center where he buys the wholesale soil was closed. I had bought 7 bags of manure and 7 bags of peat/humus so I had him to put those in the raised beds but those only half filled them. It is now raining so no time lost today. I will get some soil on Monday and get some of the hired help at Home Depot to carry the bags for me. My garden is really looking good. I still have beans, peas, okra, crookneck squash, butterbeans, and muskmelon to plant. I will have enough to feel my family and the neighbors. I just love fresh veggies.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back