Rebuilding soil in raised bed - garlic bed / worm composting bin

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mr_yan

Two years ago I started a raised bed over a concrete pad using the strawbale garden idea. Along the way that first year I thought why not and tossed in two tubs of "red worms" as sold at the local feed store. Last fall year I added a significant amount of shredded leafs and other organic precomposted matter. Late this year I realized I had unintentionally created a large outdoor worm bin here which survives the winters along the IL/WI state line. I mean this thing is full of worms. It also happens to be my main garden bed.

This year I determined I needed to add more organic matter so three yard bags of shredded leafs and grass clippings got mixed in last night - three full yard bags in a 4'x7' area. 24 hours later and it is not yet heating up with how well mixed in it is.

I was planning on still adding a bale of peat moss and a few wheel barrow loads of native soil still this year and mixing it all up. My goal was to plant garlic in it in about 10 to 15 days form now. I now think I got too greedy and added too much leaf matter too near the date I want to plant in it.

Anyone see a problem with this garlic plan?

Thanks

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty ignorant about that, but it wouldn't cost much to toss in some garlic and see what happens. It might really surprise you. You have a lot of underground help there in those wigglers.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see a problem with planting the garlic.
The worms, and bacteria will continue to break down the organic matter!
You should have a really good crop of cloves next fall!
You can never have too much organic matter!!!

mr_yan

This may actually be too much uncomposted organic matter. I could have problems as the ratio of leafs is too high. This may end up with too much setteling under the plants. I think I will mix it in really well then put a layer of the peat / soil mix over the top of that leaf vermi-compost mix.

This is hard neck gourmet garlic and would be rather costly to replace so I do run two different beds with garlic at a time. If you buy grocery store garlic it is likely to be Chinese grown softneck garlic which is incapable of surviving a cold winter.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with Ron, and I don't think that the amount of uncomposted material will hurt a bit. My garlic grows in really leafy ground. I have "chunky" soil if you will and I always have fantastic garlic ;) Let us know what happens for you

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Topping the beds with a peat/soil mix wont hurt!
There will be a fair amount of settling as the things break down so you can help it settle by tamping it down before adding the peat/soil mix. Then tamp it down again, and water it well to help settle it down more!
I'd wait the 15 days, as you mentioned, before planting the garlic!

Markymark

One thing I'd like to mention is if the worms are active and alive, that means the soil isn't too hot (composting). Because red wigglers don't do well in temperatures above 90 (and I mean tops) degrees. I don't see why it would be an issue, I would continue to throw organic matter in like food scraps and whatever else you don't need. I always throw my food scraps in my raised beds to attract worms to aerate the soil and break down the matter. I make sure to save my egg shells specifically for the calcium content as well.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com