Recipes galore and more....

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well spring is around the corner and soon we will be busy out working in the yard and garden. Our time is a real primo so I started this thread for folks to post TNT (Tried and True) recipes that are quick easy and affordable. The main thing is to have confidence in the kitchen and it will show in whatever you prepare and serve your family and guests.

Last edited:

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
SCALLOPED POTATOES AND BACON

4 to 6 slices of bacon, cooked
4 to 5 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
1 tsp. salt
3 Tablespoon butter
3/4 tsp. salt or seasoned salt

Bring pot of water to boil with 1 teaspoon of salt. Add potatoes boil a minute or so and drain in colander.

In a sauce pan melt butter. Using a whisk stir in flour then milk and mixing til smooth.
Cook over low heat for a minute or so, then add cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Add salt. (You can put in black pepper as well but I love to use white pepper since it doesn't show up in the sauce and it's a little more peppery tasting.) Add cooked bacon.

Pour into a lightly greased 2 quart casserole in a preheated 350 degree oven, bake uncoverd about 40 minutes.

Note: Take this recipe and make it yours. I don't always make the measurements exact. You can also add bell pepper and onions in the water when cooking the potatoes. You can substitute leftover cubed ham instead of bacon or leave the bacon off. You can put canned onion rings on the top to garnish. Scalloped potatoes are good left over if there is any left.

This can be used as the main course or great with grilled chicken or steak. Great to take to a church social, I usually double the recipe. The recipe may look complicated but give it a try. Once you make you will make it again and again.

Last edited:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't eat a lot of meat but this is one I like because it is quick and easy. Everthing in one dish.

1 box of macaroni dinner
1/2 pound ( or more for you meat eaters) of sausage ( polish or ground your choice)
1 can drained dice tomates ( I like the tomatoes & green Chilis)

Make mac dinner per box directions
add sliced or crumbled sausage
add tomatoes
mix well
bake 30 min. @ 350
serve with salad

you can add lib to this also I add onions sometime mushrooms whatever I have. It is way better than hamburger helper and just as quick. You can even add a beaten egg if you want it to hold together

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both of these recipes sounds really good. My hubby likes potatoes...made any way, shape or form so the scalloped potatoes and bacon is right up his alley.
The only thing he will eat pasta in is mac and cheese or Campbell's Chicken noodle soup so I know Crabbers recipe will be a go too.
As for me, I love all food!

Dor

Smothered Potatoes

3 large potatoes peeled and sliced
1 onion sliced
salt and pepper to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 olive or vegetable oil
1/4 cup flour

Wash, peel and slice your potatoes. Add salt and pepper and coat with the flour. In a cast iron skillet heat enough oil to cover bottom and add your potatoes and cook until browned. Ater potatoes are done pour off any excess oil, add 1/2-3/4 cup of water and cover and steam about 10 minutes. My mother used to make these for us. I haven't made them for my family in a while.

Spider_Lily

Chicken pot pie

2 cup cooked chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
2 cans vegall
1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1 cup Bisquick reduced-fat baking mix (regular Bisquick will work too)
1 1/2 cups milk
2 boiled eggs chopped
Directions
1 Preheat oven to 400°F.
2 Mix chicken, veggies and cream of chicken soup eggs together and spread into bottom of non greased 9-inch round glass bowl.
3 Mix remaining ingredients (Bisquick, milk ) and pour on top of chicken mixture.
4 Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until top turns golden brown.

This is quick and easy and almost a full meal my family love's it.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keep those recipes coming---Dorothy those smothered potatoes sounds great. Spider Lily that chicken pot pie sounds scrumptious.

Dor

Oh I lot pot pie and will be making yours Spiderlily. I have everything I need except vegalused my last can of vegall and bisquick. I will pick up some tomorrow.

I will keep them coming Dale.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
GONEPOSTAL'S ZUCCHINI RELISH

2c. zucchini
1c. onion
1/2 c.green peppers
1/2 c.red peppers ( I usually use all green peppers--dont really care for red peppers)
2Tkosher or pickling salt
Grind the veggies and layer them with the salt in a big bowl. Cover with water and let set for 2 hours. Then drain, rinse, and drain again.

In a large pot mix
1 3/4 c sugar
1c cider vinegar
2t celery seed
1t mustard seed

Bring this to a boil, add the ground veggies and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Put in sterile jars & seal.
Now------it says to "process" for 10 min. but I found as long as the jars & rims are clean & sterile when you put the lid on and they seal ok---then they are fine.

This makes about 2 pints. So I usually multiply the recipe x5!! Makes a good batch!

Note: I asked Gonepostal to give me her zucchini relish recipe and she posted it in the canning section. I wanted others to have the opportunity to have access to this great recipe so it's in the recipe section. Great way to use up some of those zucchini's.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Chicken and Rice

I never cook with a recipe but the basics for this are as follow:

1 whole chicken cut up or 4 to 6 chicken breast

2 cups rice

2 cups water

2 cups chicken or vegetable stock

1 red onion

4 to 6 cloves of chopped garlic

2 cans of any type of cream soup

all other seasoning to taste: and optional
white pepper, lemon grass, hungarian paprika and sea salt

Take the water and stock and bring to a boil. I use a large roasting pan on two burners. add rice once this os at a boil and stire. remove from the heat and add the cream soups, onilon, garlic and any other seasonings. Stir well. Then lay your chicken in this mixture and kinda push down in. Cover and put in a pre-heated over at 375 degrees. For about 1 and 1/2 hours. Remove cover and keep cooking until the rice is soft and ready to hear.
We also have added vegetables and just add a bit more stock.

plantlover

Potatoes and Smoked Sausage

Easy, fast comfort food that is really tasty.

1 pound package of smoked skinless sausage

5 or six potatoes -- peeled and cut into bite size chunks

1 or 2 cloves of a shallot finely minced.

1 onion finely chopped.

In a large saucepan heat about 2 tbsps of oil. Add the onion and shallots and cook until they are translucent. Add the potatoes and cook until the potatoes are lightly browned and tender.

Season with salt, pepper or a bit of Mrs. Dash.

Slice the sausages in half and cut each of the split sausages into bite size pieces. Add the sausage to the potatoes.

Pour the entire mixture into an oven proof casserole dish. Put it in the oven at 325 degrees and heat for 30 to 45 minutes or until the potatoes are completely soft. If you want, sprinkle some shredded cheese on top.

Serve with a vegetable like steamed carrots and a big salad.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
I asked this before, but didn't get much of a response.

Does anyone know of a recipe database format that's easy to use and can easily be shared among members.

It would be possible for me to set up a recipe database along this lines of this site:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/reviewpost/index.php

Ignore the model train stuff, and concentrate on the layout and design... Imagine that instead of HO trains, you have categories for Main Course, Soups, Salads, Desserts, etc. Under each one you'd have various sub-categories like Beef, Chicken, Pork.

Where the model train photos are you could have photo of the dish, and the recipe. Comments could be posted rating the recipe and telling what the members thought of it.

It's something I might consider adding in the future... If I did, it would be nice to have a standard recipe format you could cut and paste from it.

plantlover

I love model trains! I like that set up with the photo on the side.

What if you were to set it up so that there would be a place where you could click to have a pop up open with a printable form of the recipe?

I'm not sure if you could create a template where we could just fill in the ingredients, and then have a space for directions, and then another space for notes. The notes might contain something like serving suggestions, what to serve with the dish and that sort of thing.

Is there any way to have the system automatically put the recipe in a designated area? If it could be done, then we could flip through different areas....maybe have breakfasts, appetizers, soups, meat main dishes, vegetarian main dishes, casseroles, salads, desserts, cakes, cookies, pies....the possibilities are endless.

Is there a way to automate the filing process so that everything could be alphabetized when it's entered.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crabbergirl I do have some low carb recipes. Maybe I will make a separate forum for them.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crabber tonight we are having a grilled piece of salmon with lime juice (I'm out of lemon and too lazy to go to the store)butter and dill. We will have a nice salad and hubby will eat some fruit and I will eat some more of my asparagus. I got 2# at costco so I'll be eating it for a few days. No problem there as I love it. Can't get more low carb than that.

Wombat

This is what we're having for dessert tonight, it's absolutely yummy.
Sorry Crabber but it's not exactly low carb, low cal or low fat but it does have no added sugar:D

Mango Mousse

16 ounces fresh chilled mango pulp
1/4 pint whipped cream
1 tablespoon over proof rum (optional)
extra whipped cream for decorating

Chill Mangoes overnight in refrigerator. Peel and slice mangoes to form 16 ounces of pulp. Place in Kitchen Whizz and whip until smooth and thick. Whip cream in separate bowl. Gradually blend in the whipped cream to the mango puree and continue blending until very thick. Add the rum, give one final blend, then pour into individual serving glasses. Refrigerate well (best made the day before required). Decorate with piped whipped cream and serve.

Note: 1 tablespoon of rum is “just right”!

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I asked this before, but didn't get much of a response.

Does anyone know of a recipe database format that's easy to use and can easily be shared among members.

It would be possible for me to set up a recipe database along this lines of this site:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/reviewpost/index.php

Ignore the model train stuff, and concentrate on the layout and design... Imagine that instead of HO trains, you have categories for Main Course, Soups, Salads, Desserts, etc. Under each one you'd have various sub-categories like Beef, Chicken, Pork.

Where the model train photos are you could have photo of the dish, and the recipe. Comments could be posted rating the recipe and telling what the members thought of it.

It's something I might consider adding in the future... If I did, it would be nice to have a standard recipe format you could cut and paste from it.

I took a fast look Bob and seems to be something that may just work ...On another note...my husband and grandson will love that forum...they are both into trains...Hubby has his old train set from childhood and is always adding to it...he hated leaving Sacramento because of the wonderful train shop there, Bruce's Train Shop...he is still on the hunt in this area and in Tacoma Washing area for a good store..

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com