Recommended watering schedule for sod

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

prr

In the last 2 weeks, I have been planting sod in my lawn, in the spots where no grass was growing. I have been taking a garden hose and hitting the sod several times a day, just to help it along.

(1) How long should I be giving it this additional watering (meaning, when can I water it no more than the normal watering that the rest of my lawn gets)?

Also, (2) Until that point in time (when I water the sod the normal amount), how many times a day should I wet it with the hose? Or is there a specified amount of water that I should put on it?

Kya D

When we planted sod we were told to keep it damp for a month or until it looked like it had taken off and started to grow.

prr

"Keep it damp" implies a lot of watering.

I'm seeing some of the sod (that I planted about a week ago) get high enough to be mowed, so I suppose those sections I don't have to worry about any more.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I planted sod last summer they told us to keep it wet watering it once a day for two weeks then to slowly back it off to what we were doing to the whole yard. We were in a drought and had sever watering restrictions. The sod we planted some did amazing and some not but now that we have gotten more rain this summer it has taken off and the whole yard is filled in.

prr

Once a day is a lot less than I've been watering it.

I think I'll cut back a bit, except where it is getting yellow. I've noticed one spot in particular is yellow, and then often around the edges it is yellow as well.

Kya D

it has been my experience that sod always tends to yellow at the edges for the 1st few days

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
prr,
Where are you or what is your zone,. this is information that will help determine a watering schedule depending on your season and climate.

When I did landscaping we suggested as Lynn said, keep watered daily for 2 weeks. Healthy sod puts down roots quick. and yes , there can be some yellowing but that can also indicate too much water. What type of sod is it?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com