Redworm Composting

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I was thinking of a way to speed up my compost, being I am starting a new. So I did some reading up and found a way to not only speed up my composting but add some much needed worms. Since we moved in I have gone out and dug around a bit in the yards. I have found there are a few nightcrawlers here and there. But, they do tent to like it where there is more soil and cool temperatures. Once summer comes around they do tend to go deeper. I always try and keep my flower beds and veggie patches covered with a good layer of mulch to help keep them wanting to work away for me. Interesting thing I have found in the past the places I use shredded newspaper as part of the mulch I have more night crawlers. In my research I found this is the very case. They do seem to like newspaper.

Now to get back on topic red worm composting….
I was given a 55 gallon barrel. I found some information and direction for making a Recycled Barrel Composter…

First I need to cut both ends out of the barrel. Then dig a hole about 2 feet deep and set the barrel over it and add a couple of inches of grass clippings. Then like with any compost begin to add my kitchen scrapes and garden clippings and such. Layering grassing clippings and kitchen /garden waste and scrapes. Then once the layers are about a foot deep I will add redworms…I am thinking about 500 to start off from what I have read.…I find I can get them at the bait store for a good price…but you can also order then through garden supply places. I bet one of the sponsors here on the Garden Forum carries them. Unlike the nightcrawlers the redworms thrive in warm conditions which oddly enough are what compost conditions are. Once the barrel gets full I can dig a new hole…Lift the barrel off the finished compost and put in over/in the new hole. Take enough of the finished compost and add to the barrelin the new hole. Then spread the compost along with the worm castings into the garden beds.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back