Remember When?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Maggie

REMEMBER WHEN?

Mom was at home when the kids got home from school.

When nobody owned a purebred dog.

When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.

When all of your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had their hair done and wore high heels.

When you got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time. And, you didn't pay for air. And, you got trading stamps to boot.

When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents.

When the worst thing you could do at school was smoke in the
bathrooms, flunk a test or chew gum.

When a '57 Chevy was everyone's dream car ... to cruise, peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, and people went steady and girls wore a class ring with an inch of wrapped yarn so it would fit her finger. And no one ever asked where the car keys were 'cause they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked. And you got in big trouble if you accidentally locked the doors at home, since no one ever had a key.

Remember lying on your back on the grass with your friends and saying things like "That cloud looks like a ... "

Remember jumping waves at the ocean for hours in that cold water. And playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the rules of the game. Back then, baseball was not a psychological group learning experience--it was a game.

Remember when stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals 'cause no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger.

And with all our progress ... don't you just wish, just once, you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace ... and share it with the children of today...

Remember when being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.

Basically, we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc.... Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we all survived because their love was greater than the threat.

Go back with me for a minute....
Before the Internet or the MAC
Before semi automatics and crack
Before SEGA or Super Nintendo...Way back ....

I'm talkin' bout hide and go seek at dusk.
Red light, Green light.
Kick the can.
Playing kickball & dodge ball until your porch light came on.
Mother May I?
Red Rover.
Hula Hoops.
Roller skating to music.
Running through the sprinkler.
Catchin' lightning bugs in a jar.
Christmas morning ....
Your first day of school.
Bedtime Prayers and Goodnight Kisses.
Climbing trees.
Getting an Ice Cream off the Ice Cream Truck.
A million mosquito bites and stickyfingers.
Jumpin' on the bed.
Pillow fights.
Runnin' till you were out of breath.
Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt.
Being tired from playing
Your first crush.
Kool-aid was the drink of summer.
Toting your friends on your handle bars.
Wearing your new shoes on the first day of school.
Class Field Trips.
Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, Yeah, I remember that! There's nothing like the good old days. They were good then, and they're good now when we think about them.

Share some of these thoughts with a friend who can relate, then share it with someone that missed out on them. I want to go back to the time when............

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo"
Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "do it over!"
"Race issue"; meant arguing about who ran the fastest.
Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly"
Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening.
It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends.
Being old, referred to anyone over 20.
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was cooties.
Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.
It was a big deal to finally be tall enough to ride the "big people"
rides at the amusement park.
Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.
Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dog-dare"
Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.
The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.
Water balloons were the ultimate weapon.
Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED!!!!

here here i,ll drink to that , i,m just kidding , i remember most of it too , good times gone for good , like the Christmas song , toy land toy land , little boy and girl land , once you pass within it, you can never return again .

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was that song from "Babes in Toyland" with Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney? I saw a stage production of that several years back when my granddaughter was in the orchestra.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, I don't know if they were available from the store, but kids used cards from a deck of cards to do that. A clothespin was used to hold it in place.

my Mom wouldnt let me have a bike , so didnt get to do that . but when my youngest was around 13or14 he tryed that , he had one of those kinda small bikes and never sit on it was always at a stand ride , kinda like a dirt bike rider dose .

Maggie

We used the cards to. I remember (we were raised on a farm) when we would go out to the cornfields and get an ear of corn for our baby dolls. We had our choice of a blond, brunette, redhead or a blackhead baby. We always got dolls for Christmas but the corn babies were more fun. When we played cowboys and indians we used sticks for our guns. My brother had a cap pistol. Remember those rolls of caps that you used in them.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, I never had a cap pistol, but we would make rubber guns. We would get an inner tube from the service station that couldn't be fixed and cut rubber bands from it. We would whittle out a gun and stretch the rubber bands on it and use a clothespin to hold it. When we squeezed the handle, it would loose the rubber band at the enemy.

Maggie

Yep, remember those to.
Remember the spools that thread came on. We were so glad when momma would empty one and give them to us. We would cut notches in the rims, run a rubber band through them, place a small stick in one end, place a match in the other end then twist until until the rubber band was tight and race them.

Kya D

We used those wooden spools for making cat tails, you know pound 4 nails in the top and weave a yarn or string on them

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think I ever played with spools that much. I'm sure there were plenty around as my mother sewed quite a bit.

Maggie

Hey how buttons on a string (spinners)
I tried to show my grandkids how to spin the button but couldn't do it anymore.

Remember making a cup and saucer with string. Can't do that anymore either. My fingers are not as nimble as they used to be.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
We palyed with the big cable spools from the electrice company. I had a friend who's dad work there. And we dug clay from the side of the ditch to make "gifts" for our parents. We had "club houses" in the woods we made from scraps we drug from the garbage. We collected pop bottles and turned them in at the little store to buy "provisions" ( Candy) for our "club house". You had to be in when the street lights came on, and as long as you told mom where you were going , you were safe.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't remember telling my Mom where I was going but I didn't get out of earshot anyway. We didn't have street lights.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com