Rooting Pineapple Tops

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I was raised on Maui and my family had 20 acres of pineapple fields.
RR your top is still good.
Instead of cutting the top off grab it with one hand hold the fruit against a counter top or against your body with the other hand and twist the top off. If you pull off a few layers of the little leaves you will find the beginnings of roots are already there. It’s not necessary but it is interesting and it won’t hurt anything. Let it dry out for a few days then plant in well draining soil. The tops are actually viable for quite a while. Pineapples are very drought tolerant so don’t over water. Filling the center is alright but also water at soil level from time to time. Pineapples are grown in open fields. I can’t say they wont do well in shade but I have never known them to be grown in shade I would recommend foliar feeding every other month or so. Depending on the variety of pineapple it will take from 18 to 24 months to fruit. Once the fruit is picked it will send out two new plants; on occasion more but generally two. In time those two plants will also fruit. When those fruit are picked those plants in turn will also send out two new plants each giving you four plants. Each time the fruits will become smaller and smaller but also sweeter and sweeter. I don’t know how long the plants will continue to divide it’s self we never left them to grow any longer then that. I have never known anyone to divide pineapples so I can’t say it can or can’t be done.

Interesting fact: Pineapples are only pollinated by humming birds. There are no hummers in Hawaii so seeds from there will not grow.

Sadly I must advise against buying pineapple from Maui unless you actually pick them up there when you visit. I know I’m from Maui and I should be loyal yada yada yada. Sorry but their fruits are soaked in chemical baths to preserve them and more chemicals so they can be packed tighter together and not have molds or funguses grow on them. ‘Gold’ is a very, very sweet variety of pineapple but I wouldn’t eat Maui Gold from my local market. I get the ones grown in Mexico or Porto Rico. They don’t use all those chemicals. Besides when they are packed that tightly the eye of the tops are damaged so they are less likely to grow.

Always wanted to try this,but never did as something always came up!
Would like to give it a try and my luck,Cris would want it after it gets going and with me being abit of a softie, ( using her words there ) I just might wind up giving the plant to her! ( really,no loss though as we became pretty tight friends with each other ) :p

* interesting thread *

I already have the top off it has been sitting in my kitchen window for few days drying..that is why I wanted to know if it is still good to plant.

Thanks so much on the growing advice Bernie!

RR

My pineapple top

I dried my top for a couple of days and put it in water. I changed the water every couple of days. Knats started showing up around it so I took it out and put it in dirt. Its not looking too good. Did I do something wrong or does it start looking bad before it starts growing again?
I also pulled some of the bottom leaves off and seen what looked like was roots.

Myfedora I wouldn't give up on it for a while. You wouldn't believe how bad the pineapple fields look when they are frist planted. Unless it really gets brown it may still take off and grow well from you. Good luck.

Phil pineapple is delisious so why not get two. Start one top for Cris and one for yourself.:D

I have two growing right now. I removed as much of the lower leaves as I could before I set them to dry. Then I put mine in water, changing the water every other day or so, and again, when the area softened, I removed more of the leaves. I kept it in the water for quite a while until it had roots. While it was in the water rooting, it also got a lot of new growth. Both are doing well. Could you have over watered it, or are you getting water on parts of the plant that shouldn't get the water?

I have one growing in dirt and it's doing well. Wasn't sure if the house was too cold for it this winter but it's still alive. I have 2 in water and 1 to cut up this weekend so will ty that one too.

the outside leaves have some brown on them but the very middle is looking good so I have hope. I think becca will enjoy this experiment.

Ok, When I look down the center of my pineapple top:eek: There is white fuzzy stuff growing on it. Should I throw it out and start again?

All I have ever done with the ones I have started is cut off top with a lil fruit and put in soil and kept it moist... I have 4 now...two have produced...such fun.
Peggy

Myfedora,
Sounds like mold or fungus. It might recover but sounds like it got too wet. You can try to wipe it out and see if it recovers.

my middle is still green and I'm not sure but maybe growing a little. I keep the soil moist and have my fingers crossed.

I think my pineapple top is dead. I am going to try another one. This time I will get it right! I hope anyway.

My pineapple is still green in the center and I gave it a little pull so I believe it has rooted. Now it takes full sun and how much water? I think I may move it off the deck into the yard now. Now I will be looking for a pineapple in a year or so.

Bernie, thanks for the great info you provided us! Glad we have a pineapple thread going. :) so we can compare notes.

When I planted my two pineapple tops months back, I did not use soil with fertilizer as I too do not like chemicals. I used just regular potting soil once I got them to root in water. I want to be able to eat my pineapples with as little or no chemicals as possible. Boy, I'm sure dreamin' big thinking I will get pineapples. Actually my two look okay but I did notice the one in shade is doing somewhat better. I need to take pics and post here.

My pineapple is still green in the center and I gave it a little pull so I believe it has rooted. Now it takes full sun and how much water? I think I may move it off the deck into the yard now. Now I will be looking for a pineapple in a year or so.

I think they do well in part shade, too. They shouldn't be watered very often once you plant them, and make sure to water down by the bottom leaves and not in the center of the plant. That will make it rot. They don't like moist or wet soil at all, so be sure to allow the soil to dry out completely between waterings.

You know anything wet will be rare soon. I know summer is almost here. I'll try to do that. I know the kids will have fun with that this summer. I have to get Jamie signed up for swim lessons soon. She will be here for at least part of the summer. Love that kid. She is in the double digits now that she hit 10. I can't even remember not being in the double digits.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back