Rooting Pineapple Tops

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

PRH

Attachments

• Picture_0245.jpg
    Picture_0245.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 389

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
some pics of my plant, they aren't that good as it's hard to get a good pic of it where it's located.

Attachments

• tn_snow 010.JPG
    tn_snow 010.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 331
  • tn_snow 011.JPG
    tn_snow 011.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 316
  • tn_snow 012.JPG
    tn_snow 012.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 331

PRH

Looks pretty cool to me! :p Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us all here as well!

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't Ron but going to this yr. I'm surprised it's doing so well this winter as I only have the heat on 62 downstairs and 55 upstairs. It is in a south facing window in the landing that is across from the stairs that goes upstairs

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok! When you do put it out place it in a shaded are for a week and then gradually expose it to more sun! You wouldn't want to burn the leaves by placing it right out into full sun!
Actually morning sun is more then enough with afternoon shade!

Wombat

That looks really healthy Laurie, great job on your "baby". I found one thriving in my compost heap once, dug it out and when it finally had fruit, luckily it was really sweet. Good luck with yours.

PRH

Your not going to believe this! ( me either,for that matter ) :)

Anywho this past weekend, Cris and I got together and planted 8 pineapple tops. ( I still have :) from me doing that - but .... - life sure is full of surprises sometimes and can be very funny as well )
Be taking Cris to 1 of her appoit. tomorrow so she can get that cast of hers removed. She's doing so well and I just know that I will be talked into playing a drum duel with her within a few weeks as well! - ik,ik, this is a plant thread and I made sure I typed about pineapple tops within my typing but,I thought some might like to hear how Cris is doing as well! - Thanks again folks,our God is an awesome God!! -

:p:):p

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Phil great to hear about Cris. I know the pineapples will be fun to grow I did that one year but forgot to bring it in during the winter and it froze out. I need to do that again.

PRH

Awww man!!
Up above,I posted a pic of the pineapple I had started. Yesterday,I took note that the plant is turning tan/brown and drying up. ( idk if I'll try another one -- I have a few planted,but nothing to really write home about at this point,so.... ) :(

Wombat

Hi PRH, sorry to hear about your pineapple. I started growing them a few years ago and found this advice very helpful. Hopefully it may assist you in trying to grow them too.

1) Cut the top off the pineapple and remove all of the fruit. If you leave some fruit on it may rot the top.
2) Remove the bottom 1″ or 1 and 1/2″ of leaves The stalk will root but the leaves will rot.
3) (the secret) Dry the top for two days or until a callous forms Depending on the humidity this could be as short as a day or as long as a week. Do this some place cool and dry. If you don’t do this the stalk will rot.
4) Dip the stalk end in water and then into rooting hormone. This makes rooting faster.
5) Lay the stalk in a pot of fast draining potting soil so that only part of the stalk is touching the soil. Don’t put the entire stalk in the soil. In other words DO NOT plant the stalk in a vertical position. If you do then it is highly likely the stalk will rot. If you live in a very dry climate (e.g., Arizona or New Mexico) then put the pot and stalk in a plastic bag (e.g., dry cleaning bag) to conserve moisture.
6) Mist frequently to keep the soil moist but not wet. Roots should appear in 2 or 3 weeks.
7) Once roots appear, repot the pineapple (this time in the vertical position) in a fast draining potting soil (e.g., half potting soil half perlite).
Remember, pineapples are actually bromeliads. Hence they like tropical conditions. High light, constant humidity, and constant lite fertilizer in the summer time.
In 2 or 3 years, it will grow another pineapple.:)

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for the rotten top Phil!
Don't feel discouraged!

Do as John details, and you shouldn't have a problem!

Here's a photo of mine that I started a few months ago to encourage you to try again!

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 312

PRH

Thanks guys! I have a few pineapples going on around here ( I planted them a few months back now but,they are nothing to write home about currently )
Wombat - ur info. was interesting ( I followed those steps in all my planting )
Thanks for taking the time to share those as well with not just me but,others here as well who read. :)
RonsGarden - yep,you stayed true to your word about being on call several months back when I typed that I was starting a pineapple top. - Liked your pic you posted here too,wish ya the best on growing this! ( me thinks your all set with how to get it growing for ya though ) - thanks for sharing and patting me on the back so I won't get to discouraged!! :p

Wombat

Hey no worries PRH anytime especially when I've been through all of that myself I know how frustrating it can be.....Ron's plant looks really healthy should have pineapples on it soon I reckon!:D

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll give my top 18 months until it decides to send a shoot up!
It's almost time to replant it into a larger pot!
Going back in time: After letting the cut end callus I make a shallow depression in the soil, about an inch or two deep and just set the cut end in this depression! It did take 2 weeks or so to send down roots. I checked once a week by lifting the top if comes up freely it means it hasn't rooted yet!
I keep the soil in the pot barely moist!
As the lower leaves turn brown I pull them off and reset the top in the depression.
When it doesn't come up, then it's rooted/rooting!
At this point I add a bit more soil and lightly pack it around the base to encourage more roots to form further up the base and increase the watering frequency!

Wombat

Yeah Ron you're right they're funny things and they all seem to root differently, you need a lot of patience I've discovered lol

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do they like to be root bound or have a nice big pot? Mine is outside on my deck for the summer

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Laurie
Yes they do like to be pot bound!
With the one you have it should be in a gallon size pot!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com