Rose cuttings growing

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mindy01

Yey, there is growth starting to show where the Leaf nodes are! Took quite awhile. Yey, Any ideas how to get them thru the winter in MI? Have a nice SUNNY SUN ROOM, gets all the South Sun, and repotting, i know they will have a delicate Root system. Any ideas out there!

With a little luck and attention to their needs you could get them through the winter indoors, but it is best done in a cool room rather then at room temp. becuase they do neeed to go through a dorment period.
I always started my rose cuttings outdoors in the early spring as I pruned them back after the buds start to show and sign of swelling. I take the cuttings then, and insert them into the soil in a partially sunny spot, I place a large mason jar over them. I keep the soil around the jars moist but otherwise forget about them, checking once a week to see if they require more watering, Once the buds break and show signs of growth I lift the jars up a bit to allow fresh air in but leave the jars in place. If the foliage fills the jar then it's time to remove the jar but this doesn't tend to happen the first year. The jars stay in place until the following year after the buds swell and break.
My paternal grandmother used this method, as did my father with fairly even results. Usually one in five didn't root and had to be pulled! Not bad avarage on survival!

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back