Roses

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

At our first house I had over 50 J&P registered roses. I had plenty of time to tend them and keep them healthy. I would love to start another rose garden but I am afraid I would not do them justice because I have so much going on. Something to think about for the spring. Maybe I'll be more balanced by then.

A friend gave me the name. I'm a Melissa and sometimes go by Mel. I love the fragrance of flowers hence the smelly part. And I think another friend says I get the name because I smell like a garbage can...lol!!

Yeah Micki/Mel/Smel, but we still know it's YOU! LOL!!!!!!!!! :p:D

Double fun!

A few more Double Delight!

Enjoy!

Kale:)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is such a blessing to share One of my favorite rose blooms..

*LOL scratch and sniff *LOL
Oh I tell you I could never get enough of this rose...I knew you'd want to sniff*LOL thought if I put enough out there it may happen*LOL :D

I know how to make cutting;);) Just need to check if it is patented still...:eek:

Thanks Kale, but I really have no luck with cuttings. I am definately going to buy a couple of those in March though!! I am in the process of putting in a new rose bed on the east side of our house where they won't get so much wind. Unfortunately they will also not get as much sun as I would like so gonna also plant one in the south...hopefully one will do well. My current rose bed is on the west side and the wind is horrible. I was inspired by David Austin's pictures in his catalogue and planted a ton of boxwood seedlings around it...now just have to wait for them to get big. I have also planted spruce trees all down the west side of the property hoping to break the wind. So tell me, do you plant your roses in with other plants or do you do a garden just for roses. I was reading a book and it said that planting garlic is very beneficial to roses. Since onion is similar to garlic, I wonder if allium would be good to plant with them. I don't know how beneficial it would be but I think english lavender would be real pretty.

I plant several things with my roses.
Almost every rose has chives near them; some also have ground covers like hem hem Creeping Charlie or various low growing (flowering ) Sedum, Sweet Alyssum (various colors) Various (certain) wormwoods, Basil, Parsly, Dill, Anise Hyssop, (planted cilantro last year but the smell is horrifying to me) I plant other annuals herbs but most are containered.I place geraniums near the roses mostly in the front.
Garlic and onion are planted all over the land along with chive. and various (certain) wormwoods.
I plant other annuals but depends on the mood for that year.Last year (Also 1st year for back rows) were California Zinnias that were stunning and gave me the shade I needed hi noon,but..may plant those back a little bit more closer to the BF rock garden.

Hope that somewhat answers your question*LOL

Yes, it did....now...more questions...lol!! Did you plant the things you planted because you thought they looked nice or are they beneficial to the roses and if yes, why? Inquiring minds (mine of course) wants to know.

I only planted cilantro because I thought it looked pretty and would keep any pest away but the smell nearly killed me*LOL

Almost all are grown to keep pests away!And are host for beneficials..the pest eaters.. my little workers*lol
I do love a few of the herbs and I let them work for me.I do not use them to cook with, although my daughter can pick whatever she wants.
I usually have a good purpose to plant or not to plant looks aren't a main factor if the plant is a beast. Mint is pretty but a beast if I plant it, it will go in a pot on cement and not go to seed if I can help it*LOL Although I haven't had a reseeding problem with the potted ones. I cant get it out of one of the beds from years ago. I though it would never get out of there *LOL it is NUTS....WILD and Crazyyyyyyyyyyy I am watching it *LOL like a new puppy just released from it's mother! Those roots just do not quit!
Did I answer that question or just rant about the sicko mint!*LOL

Yes, roses enjoy their company.and so do I.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smelly Melly, about cuttings,if you take a trip here or I there I can should you how I make cuttings.I will guarantee you will succeed if you do as I have.
I bet there is just one thing that went wrong.Could be one of a few.
All my cutting do not make it and it is due to my mess up of not keeping track.I lost several by putting them in a tray,it rained and they sat in water too long.That was terrible.I had roots on 2 spent cuttings I got from my MIL,she received from my SIL when she was in the hospital.I put the pot in a tray so it would drink from the bottom and forgot it there. Rain came, that was the end of them.They were beautiful long stem reds.I had planned on giving my MIL one.It was sad.

You can do it if I can do it.Be encouraged,I will tell you this, once you do it, you just may be addicted,it gives such a sense of achievement you just want to try cuttings on everything *LOL I do it with twigs I find,:eek:it is crazy but I just cant stop.:rolleyes:

Just have to tend them just check on them and not forget.I was consumed with volunteer work and lost track.

Kale

I placed two pictures in an album of a yellow rose a friend grows in her yard. She doesn't know the name of this rose but let me tell ya, this rose bush is stunning and smells like a million bucks and blooms like crazy. Miss Jean tells me this rose has never had a bit of black spot and is practically care free. So, she rooted a piece last year and sent it to me. I've kept it in the kitchen near a window and water when the soil gets dry. It's stayed healthy and put out new leaf growth. I just need to know the "right" mix for planting and how to get it ready for the great outdoors. I've always had storebought roses before now.

Dizzy, (back to an earlier post) Nice blooms:D:D
Are you certain that is seven sisters? I thought they were only climbers and had 7 blooms per cluster.
I have never owned or saw one so I do not know,just curious.:eek:

Did you try to root the suckers!??:confused:

I get lots of sucker from the Gazebo Rose Garden that I tend, wasnt sure if they would do anything:) I understand you can get a good plant or a wild non blooming one.

Has anyone ever rooted a rose from a florist.My daughter just got a dozen of mixed color roses.There's a beautiful white with pink edged petals I would love to have.Can you root these?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back